Emily’s Experience in Russia

Emily studied in Russia on the CIEE: St. Petersburg, Russian Language program in Summer 2015.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

Studying abroad is a unique opportunity that allows students to grow and to learn more about who they are. There is no better way to discover yourself within the context of the rest of the world than to study abroad. There is also no better time!

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?

I would not change anything about my study abroad experience because it helped make me the person I am today. When I go abroad again, I will be more fluent in the ways of travel and will therefore be able to check out more of the local community. I would love to establish deeper connections with the people who live there.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

Immersion is the best way to learn a language, and I believe that culture plays a tremendous role in understanding the logistics behind a language. Studying abroad let me access tradition, culture, and language up-close in a way that a classroom experience in the United States would not be able to provide me.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

Before I went to Russia, I had only ever been to Mexico and Canada. I was excited to travel to Russia, as it had been a lifelong dream. Naturally, I was terrified of the unknown — what if I got lost? forgot how to say something? lost my passport? The thing about fears is that if you let them get to you, you will never be able to experience anything. So I learned as I went that summer. I made mistakes and learned from them, and they made my trip all that more memorable and valuable.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

CIEE’s program offers an immersive Russian language program as well as a Russian area studies program, so I had the opportunity to choose the best fit for me. In the Russian language program, I received 10 credits toward my major, and my classes were taught in Russian by real professors. We also went on beautiful and historic tours throughout St. Petersburg, Novgorod, and Moscow. CIEE also offers students the choice of a homestay or hostel living option. The homestay is an invaluable experience that shows students the reality of day-to-day life while immersing them in the language.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?

Study abroad experiences are so useful when applying to internships and jobs, and going to a less-traveled country is a wonderful talking point during interviews. A non-traditional location stands out on a resume, and the skills that I have taken away from my experience branch far out from merely broadening my Russian language capabilities.

Did you participate in any service projects while on your program? How did that enhance your study abroad experience?

One of my favorite aspects of my study abroad experience was volunteering my time as an English language teacher in St. Petersburg. I made lasting connections with locals who attended my classes, and all of us enjoyed the intercultural exchange. This is where I learned more about who I was in relation to the world, and my students enjoyed giving me recommendations on places to tour and eat in the city.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

It’s normal to have fears about studying abroad, especially in a country where English is hard to come by. But I think that makes for the best experiences. It’s quite an exciting thing to know you have lived in another country, interacting with locals, getting around on your own, and speaking in a language on a day-to-day basis that you previously used only in your language class. Keeping an open mind is crucial to taking the most away from studying abroad. Try new things, make new friends, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.

Share an experience where you interacted with someone in your host culture in a way that taught you something.

When I was teaching English to Russian adults, one of the topics of discussion was stereotypes about America. Some of the popular things that came to mind were guns, cowboys, too much smiling, and fast food. After we talked about the origins behind all the different stereotypes Russians and Americans have about each other, I realized how different the world would be if everyone sat down to have these conversations with people from all over the world.

pushkin