Elizabeth’s Experience in Australia

Elizabeth studied in Sydney on the Sydney: University of New South Wales Program in Spring 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
Rock formation in mountainous hilly landscape in australiaStudying abroad was one of the best decisions that I made during my college career here at Penn State. It allows you to get out and see the world while being surrounded by people of a similar age from many different countries. You get to meet some incredible people and make long-lasting friendships. There are many reasons why students should study abroad, but the main reason is that it really opens your eyes to other cultures and you learn a lot about yourself while abroad.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?Sydney Harbour with Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House
Being from State College and going to school here at Penn State at the main campus was the main factor that influenced my decision to go abroad. I wanted to explore the world and have a change of scenery. Australia felt like the perfect place to go.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?
The main advice I have for outbound study abroad students is to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there. Some of the best experiences I had was when I said “yes” even though sometimes all I wanted to do was relax and watch Netflix. An opportunity like this does not come around often, so make sure to make the most out of your experience. It will definitely be a time you look back on and you won’t want to  forget all the memories you made.