White Building in Rome

Elise’s Experience in Italy

Elise studied in Rome on the Penn State Lehigh Valley Honors Program Embedded Course to Italy in Spring 2016.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?
I have chronic pain, so I was very worried about whether or not this was feasible for me. I talked to my professors and doctors a lot before my trip. I did a lot of pacing myself and made careful decisions. But I was able to truly enjoy my trip. I’ve been on 2 study abroad trips and they were both life changing.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?
Take every opportunity you have while in that country. Try new foods, go to different places, and go outside of your comfort zone. Don’t be scared to push yourself and open yourself up to new experiences.

Overlook of Rome

What was the transition like between class in the States and your destination abroad?
The transition was fairly easy. We talked a lot in the course about things to expect, things we would see. For example we talked a lot about the Sistine Chapel, not just the painting of it but also things to look for within the painting. This made me much more appreciative once we actually got to see the Sistine Chapel, because I knew more of the history and what went into its painting. Additionally I was able to notice and appreciate specific features of it.

Why would you recommend an embedded program to other students?
Ruins in RomeFor me, my embedded course lasted a semester, but my trip only lasted a week. It was the perfect taste of another country, without being too overwhelming. It gives you the addictive taste for traveling, and allowed me the opportunity to explore a new place, while simultaneously providing an enriching course.