Tiffany in front of building in Taiwan

Tiffany’s Experience in Taiwan

Tiffany studied in Taipei on the Global Health Scholars Embedded Program in Summer 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
I would suggest other students study abroad to broaden their horizons and views of the world. Studying abroad in Taiwan this past summer has immersed me in their rich history and culture, which has taught me many valuable life lessons that were so mind opening. I have returned with a greater respect for diversity and culture and how those can truly shape an individual.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?
Building in landscape in TaiwanThe driving force behind my decision to go to Taiwan this past summer stemmed from my desire to learn more about the healthcare system of another developed country. I wanted to learn how healthcare is delivered and how medicine is practiced in an environment that is so different from ours in the US. Taiwan’s universal healthcare system has taught me ways in which healthcare can be delivered more efficiently and more cost-effectively.

What experiences did you have while studying abroad that you feel you could not have had if you had stayed at Penn State?
The research experience I had in Taiwan was phenomenal this past summer. Taiwan’s culture and history of herbal medicine use allows them to so gracefully integrate Chinese medicine and Western medicine. I was able to draw upon the rich history and background for my research. Moreover, my faculty mentor was an expert in the subject, which enriched my research even more. Because we lack such a culture of herbal medicine use, I would not have been able to have the same experiences here in the States.

cityscape in Taiwan