Week 3: The Networked Learner

What are the ways in which the learner role is being conceptualized within the context of Web 2.0? Is it different from how it has been conceptualized in the past, and why?

The readings show this ‘networked learner’ as motivated to take his/her learning to a higher level. The videos we watched this week emphasized this by showing this learner connecting through various online tools to build on information and ultimately share this information with other learners. In “Connected Learning,” the authors say the use of digital media links “learning and interest to academic achievement, career success, or civic engagement” (p. 4). This is showing a connection with learning that goes way beyond the classroom. The authors go on to explain how Web 2.0 technologies are at the center of this new learner by saying “new media amplifies opportunities for connected learning” (p. 12).
This learner role is very different from what we have seen in the past – and still very much in the present. Unlike the past of dominate teacher and docile learner, this ‘networked learner’ uses a teacher as a resource, at times a guide, as the learner moves through the various tools to explore the topics of interest. As much as I see this type of role reversal empowering individuality in learning, I also understand the creation of a community of learning.

Especially, how do you see the role of teacher as learner and what challenges and opportunities are possible?

I have been in the higher education classroom, as a student, off and on for the past 20 years, and I have watched the integration of Web 2.0 technologies into some of these classrooms. Sometimes the instructors have been excited about learning the technology and passing it on, but most have passed on the tools with little guidance or excitement. Some would admit they were told to integrate the technology, but did not completely understand it – not the smartest approach! Although I didn’t have a problem grasping what I was asked to do (or use), the lack of instructor guidance created an atmosphere of confusion within the classroom until most of the students figured it out for themselves. Also, because the integration was so haphazard and inconsistent, and most instructors did not fully explain the need for the tools, I did not take the importance of these tools beyond that particular class.

Richardson & Mancabelli, in chapter 2, “Personal Learning Networks,” point out the importance of personally learning about Web 2.0 technologies before passing them on to the classroom, and I can definitely see the importance of doing this. As I mentioned above, when an instructor knew about the technology, there was an excitement in the classroom. The instructor not only understood what we were using, but had a purpose for using it. I still did not use it beyond the classroom, but I was introduced to a few types of new tools.

Richardson & Mancabelli bring up time issues with learning about technology, which is my biggest concern. It is a challenge to find the time to learn about new things when life seems so full already. But, they point out it is time that is well worth the effort. Also, technology is constant evolving and changing, but the authors do point out that although there are changes within these learning networks, they are usually replaced with something similar or have similar alternatives. So, I see this as something that as technology evolves, and a person becomes actively involved, he/she can evolve and learn with it.

What do you see as challenges to implementing this view of the learner in formal and informal contexts?

In formal education, I think a very large challenge is education as an institution. Within this institution, change is very slow and the need for change must be proven over and over again. Sometimes, by the time it is recognized a change is needed, it is time for a different change! I am not quite sure who the leader should be in making changes to education – higher education or secondary education. I know I have watched technology come to the classroom in our local high school before our campus had the same technology. I think the same is with active engagement. But, is this the fault of the instructor as much as the administration of the organization? I don’t know.

Also, once the administration sees the need to integrate new technology into the classroom, the challenge is to get all the educators on board. Others have discussed this in their previous blogs and see a generational problem as well. I have seen the use of Angel on our campus ebb and flow with some instructors using it fully and others not at all. I think a strategic goal for technology integration, with strong top level support, is necessary in order to push the envelope.

In informal education, access to computers and the internet can be a challenge. Also, understanding the relevance of the various tools, and understanding how to know credible content, without some guidance could create a barrier to Web 2.0 tools. Although, I am sure, if someone has the interest to reach out, and motivation, he/she could connect using tools that work for them. Some people are just more resourceful than others.

After all I’ve said above, I still have some other thoughts on the readings…

This is embarrassing to admit, but I actually thought blogging was old news! I knew it was still being done, but I did not realize the extent it was being used, or could be used, until I read the articles in this course. I’ve read my aunt’s blog that is mostly about her thoughts and experiences. I had not realized it could go beyond and be a tool in learning and connecting with others with a like interest. Although, come to think about it, my aunt gets responses from people who have similar interests.

The readings have given me ideas about ways to continue to learn beyond this graduate degree. I don’t think I will go on for my PhD at this time in my life, but I want to continue to learn and be relevant in my job. There have been many cuts in professional development and opportunities, like conferences, to connect with others in my field. But, I can see how as little as 15 minutes a day (as Richardson & Mancabelli mention) of connecting to those who work with adults/veterans in higher education could be beneficial to my professional development. I am a very self-directed learner and can see these “vibrant learning networks” (Richardson & Mancabelli, p. 37) adding value to my work. Also, I can see this as a positive way to grow my informal learning. I’ve always had an interest in genealogy, which I have put on hold with formal education, but I know there are communities that have grown since I last worked with it.

In my busy life of work, home, classes, and work again, I sometimes forget how things have become much more global. I wonder where these people who blog and connect with the world were before Web 2.0? How did they fulfill this need to share?

5 thoughts on “Week 3: The Networked Learner

1. Cori

Hi Sueann,
    Your experience of how Web 2.0 tools has been used in higher education translates quite well to what I see in both the elementary and secondary classrooms. Some teachers embrace it and explain it well to the students and it becomes part of the classroom culture, but 90% of the time it is just glossed over and either not used or pushed out to the students to figure out on their own with little guidance. Case and point, a couple of years ago when my son was in 2nd grade he was asked to do Power Point presentation about an explorer – and this was assigned as a homework assignment with no classroom instruction. Here the assumption is that the parents would do the teacher’s job a) teach the skills of research on the internet and b) how to integrate that research into a presentation project. As a parent and a teacher I personally have a problem with this sort of instructional model. With younger kids it becomes the parents’ role to instruct, with older students it becomes, as you said, the responsibility of the learner to figure it out on their own. Thank you for pointing this out.
    Cori

2. Jeffrey James Wile

Good evening,

Talking about education as an institution as a great point. Lately, I have been hearing our education system as an industrial type learning system where we just produce these young people. We are expected to take them in, teach them and spit them back out and hope they know what they can do to be successful with what we have equipped them. It is time for a change (but it is going slowly) where education turns into teaching students to learn rather than telling them what to learn. This way students can better prepare for themselves. What do you think of the notion of an industrial education?

Blogging is old news, similar to twitter actually. However, the way technology works is in full circle. Expect to see more and more things that were old start to come back in the world of technology.

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Jeff,
      I agree that our educational system uses industrial education – I hadn’t thought of it that way! Your comment “teaching students to learn rather than telling them what to learn” similar to “Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.”

I guess I was under the impression that technology constantly evolves, not that it works full circle like so many other things in life.

3. Deena

Hi Sueanne,

I think that you make some interesting points about the difference between a “teacher” merely passing on a “technology” to the students and one who fully embraces it and understands its pedagogical aims and potential. There is such a push for the use of technology in teaching these days that it can and does often result in teachers just superficially engaging in the use of a tool merely to satisfy an explicit or implicit requirement. I think the students can tell, and I think the students are much more motivated when they are being asked to engage with a tech resource and the teacher is able to explain or model why it is actually beneficial to the learner and the learning environment.

I also think that your point about a generational difference in technology users is a very valid one. As time moves on, though, this issue will likely lessen as even adult learners will be those who were raised with ( to a certain degree) common technologies. Nowadays, it is a very valid concern and a requisite learning curve must be considered if you are dealing with adult learners and/or teachers who were not brought up in what people seem to term the “digital age.” It can be hard to adapt, adjust, and simple learn to be comfortable with various tools—it can be that way even if you are tech savvy.

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Deena,
      I also commented on generational differences in my response to your blog. Yes, time will “lessen” this issue, but I’m afraid we will lose momentum in the digital age if it is not recognized that parents or adult students are not engaging or learning the technology. We need to take a step back and look at how we can bring everyone in when the technology is introduced and not lose these adults, or parents and their children, because of it.