Love is Respect

Posted by on Nov 15, 2012 in Passion | 2 comments

So this post is a little bit of a downer. It has to do with soccer player Hope Solo and her new husband Jerramy Stevens. Their recent nuptials may seem like cause for celebration but this may not be the case. The couple, who have been together for just over 2 months, have been in court for the investigation that Stevens may have abused his then- fiancee at a party earlier this week. The arrests and charges didn’t stop the couple from tying the knot soon after Stevens release from jail. However, the media attention from this story have revealed some shocking things about the past of Jerramy Stevens. He has a long and detailed history of violence. His rap sheet includes the rape of a college freshman, assaults, drug use, and DUIs.

What’s important to remember is Hope Solo in this whole situation. Here we have a woman

who is not only marrying a man who she has been dating for 2 months but one who also has a daunting history of violence and who may have hurt her also. Another scary aspect of this is how friends of the couple reacted to their wedding. Not only are they ecstatic for the couple but there is seemingly a lack of concern for the woman who may be in an abusive relationship.

It seems likely that given Stevens’ past history with the legal system that this investigation would be a no-brainer. It also doesn’t seem far-fetched that he may have been violent towards Solo. Hopefully in time the truth can be revealed and if Hope Solo is in fact in a dangerous relationship she can find safety and someone to help her.

2 Comments

1. It is really sad to think that a successful woman like Hope Solo would subject herself to such a terrible situation. A woman who could have any man in the world still chooses someone who does not treat her with respect. I believe there are two kinds of people in this world: those who learn from bad experiences and those who repeat bad experiences. At some point in life, everyone will go through a relationship that makes them unhappy but they can’t seem to leave. After that, a person can refuse to be in a relationship remotely similar, or they will continue to be attracted to the same type of person. It can be a vicious cycle if one does not stop it early. My prediction is that Hope Solo does not have good experiences with men and believes she doesn’t deserve better. Very sad.

2. This was a really sad blog post. I had heard vaguely about Stevens’ arrest before the wedding, but I didn’t know that he was charged with assaulting her. I am horrified. Unfortunately, I can’t say that I’m too optimistic for their chances, especially because this guy seems like such a jerk, and the fact that they have only been together a mere two months. His previous criminal charges of rape and DUI should have given her a hint. I am praying that it works out, but I hope she has supportive family and friends to help her if she needs to back out, because this guy seems to be a dangerous person.