Oscar Pistorious: Lover or Murderer?

Posted by on Feb 21, 2013 in Passion | 1 comment

2012 Virgin Active Sports Industry Awardsoscar-pistorius

Oscar Pistorious. Handsome. Charming. World renowed track star. And possible murderer. The shocking celebrity news is that of the murder of Pistorious’ girlfriend Reeva Steedham. The Olympian claims thatĀ  he mistaked the 20 – year old TV personality for a burgurlar and did not realize until after he shot her that she was not anĀ  intruder. Investigations and court hearings are already underway and the funeral for Reeva was also earlier this week. Surprisingly, or unsurprisingly depending on how you look at it, the media has been extremely lenient concerning this tragedy. Most seem to believe Pistorious’s account of events and paint him as the victim and not a possible assailant.

This news came as an extreme surprise to me. I mean, I cheered for this guy during the Olympics, he has no legs for god sakes and he still manages to win. Also, in case you haven’t noticed this man is extremely good looking. His accomplishments have made him a hero and success story for his country of South Africa. When I started to think about how these things may influence how people interpret the case I realized that Pistorious may just get off for this crime that he may have committed.

Perception plays a huge part in how a court case plays out. How a defendant looks or acts can have sway over the decisions of the media or even a jury. Earlier this week, Oscar Pistorious was seen crying uncontrollably during his court appearance. Real or not, it elicited a response from the judge who sympathized and let the man have a moment to collect himself. Pistorious’s general persona as a good looking yet humble start athlete has already influenced anyone who learns of his case. Even I had trouble believing that he actually shot his girlfriend dead. I still can’t fully wrap my head around it.

Hopefully can look past all the good this man has done and focus on the man who possibly committed pre-meditated murder against his innocent girlfriend. Afterall, Ted Bundy was the picture of attractiveness and he killed countless women.

What do you all think? Did he commit the crime or is that impossible? Is the media too weak with coverage of the story or just waiting for more concrete information?

One Comment

1. Honestly, I don’t know whether this guy is guilty or not. Usually, if a case of this occurred in the United States I would almost assume his guilt, however, I am quick to pass judgment due to the weird, possibly corrupt South African judicial system. For example, the lead detective who claimed that testosterone was found in Pistorius’ apartment was found to be under criminal investigation from unrelated crimes. No matter if this was murder or a tragic accident, Oscar Pistorius still has a lot of explaining to do. I think that we should give him the benefit of the doubt, because we have no reason to suspect that he would commit murder. It seemed as though they were both in love with each other. She had tweeted earlier about how much she loved Oscar, so they obviously were not in an argument. One thing is for sure, we are going to be hearing about this for a while.