Persuasive Essay (So Far)

Posted by on Mar 21, 2013 in Work In Progress | 1 comment

Teenagers do not care about daily news and current events. It is a simple fact evident in not only in statistics concerning the issue but also in the major gap between teenagers and current events. As a college student I can see firsthand how disenfranchised we students can be about the things that are happening in our world. I would be a hypocrite if I did not admit that I am at times a part of the generational system that ignores national and international events, no matter how important. I would just like to be apart of a generation that is not clueless of where certain countries are on the map or who the speaker of the house is. Everyone should have at least a general knowledge of the world in which they live in no matter their age. Being knowledgeable in daily news events is not a detriment to anyone. There exists an empathy gap between teenagers and the issues of the world surrounding them. They have no interest in the media due to the fact that they are not directly affected by most national and international issues.  Ultimately, I argue that this “empathy gap” that exists in our generation today can be attributed to factors such as the rise of social media and reluctance to hard hitting stories about topics such as the war.

Defining the Empathy Gap

–  http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/03/teju-cole-interview-twitter-drones-small-fates

I will explain what the empathy gap and how it relates to young teenagers but also in part relates to us as Americans in a country where we do not have to deal with war and bombings in our backyards.

I will quote author Teju Cole on his definition of the empathy gap and what he does to increase awareness of international events even though they may not affect Americans directly

Teenagers and the Media

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/07/10/life-usa-news-teenagers-dc-idUKN1036737320070710

Rapid paced social media provides an opportunity to “customize” exactly what type of information they consume daily. Whether it be Facebook or Twitter, the invention of the customiz-able dashboard has allowed us to ignore the more important although at times less interesting news stories

– Addition of statistics about age groups and there involvement in the media

What to do now

http://designcharitylife.com/toronto-star/youth-should-be-more-aware-of-current-events/

-There should be a nationwide implementation of education that heavily infuses current events into the curriculum of all schools. This should be done in a way that has a lasting impact on teenagers and not just an assignment they can hand in; there should be a change in how they view news events.

Refutation

http://www.policymic.com/articles/1182/why-young-people-don-t-participate-in-politics

– Those who will argue that it is not the fault of teenagers that they are not involved in today’s current events

– Education does not adeptly prepare students to become interested in the media

– Youth feel that if they cannot change this world than there is no point in becoming interested in its issues (Apathy)

One Comment

1. Introduction:
    1. Your first sentence is clear and concise, but I don’t think you should make it so all-encompassing. Not all teenagers are ignorant (although, I definitely am).
    2.The only mention of kairos is in your use of the word “rising” when describing social media. I think you believe that this issue is a growing concern, but I don’t think that belief is stated clearly enough.
    3. I know your audience is college students because of the drawing assignment we did in class, but I don’t think it’s very clear in your intro. You mention teenagers, but if you think about it, most college students are only teenagers their freshman year. I would state your audience more explicitly.

Thesis Statement:
    1. Your claim is that the “empathy gap” that exists in our generation today can be attributed to factors such as the rise of social media and reluctance to hard hitting stories about topics such as the war. It’s kind of arguable, and I think it’s specific. Considering the length of the paper, I would consider adding more arguments to give you more to write about.
    2. The part about “reluctance to hard hitting stories about topics such as the war” is unclear. I would rework the second part of that sentence.
    3. Your evidence fits the claim well and can definitely be used to support your opinion.

Body Outline:
    1-3. The order of your body paragraphs makes sense, but I would maybe break Teenagers and Media into more paragraphs, because it’s the brunt of your argument. You don’t seem to discuss the “reluctance to hard hitting stories about topics such as the war” in your paragraphs. As for your links, they seem good!