One of the hardest things a person may have to go through in their life is living with an invisible disability. No one can see it. Not that many people understand it. But everyone can sense it.

In this post, I will be looking at how life may feel with a mental illness. First, I would like for you to keep in mind that not all mental illnesses have to be diagnosed in order for them to be real and exist. As you may have read in my The Urban Life blog many people go on though live with their mental illness for extensive amounts of time without making anyone aware of their internal problem. Studies say that some of the reasons that mental illnesses aren’t shared is because the victims are afraid they may not be taken serious, they may be made fun of, or they may be thought of being weak. Unfortunately, this is the story of many people’s lives.

Image result for depressionNote that there are many different levels of mental illnesses. Though the more severe ones like schizophrenia, bulimia nervosa, and anorexia nervosa have more visibly symptoms, bipolar disorder, PTSD, and depression are also very serious.

For instance, on a day to day bases you could never know what a person is dealing with. Take living with depression for instance, depression is a mental illness that is very discrete to others, but tends to be completely overwhelming for the person dealing with it.

A person dealing with depression could very well have a smile on their face and feel so overwhelmed within. Depression tends to settle in the back of one’s mind and spirit and never leaves.  No matter how much you try to fill the void or figure out what’s wrong nothing seems to work or make you feel better. Personally, I believe that that’s the hardest part when dealing with, not only depression, but any mental illness.

Unlike other physical illnesses there aren’t medications and supplements that one can take that takes away depression in 24 hours. Many times, in order to work through depression or any other mental illness one has to go to extensive therapy and try to find the root of the problem, then start working to get better from there. The process can take days to weeks to years. Unfortunately, there are some people who can never find the solution which leaves them living a life of gloom.

With this understanding I ask that the next time we are interacting with others always be mindful of the fact that you do not know what they are dealing with internally. From personal experience, I know that my day may not have went as planned or something is really bothering me but I still cook up a smile on my face. However, the last thing I need is for someone to say something that will trigger my inner emotions. Therefore, always think twice before saying aback-handed comment or “playful” insult.

One thought on “Living with an Invisible Disability

1. As weird as this might seem, I found your blog post quite sobering and refreshing. The last couple passion blogs , I have read (and wrote) have been about travel, sports, or music. I really enjoyed how you expressed your views on mental illness and promoted openness towards understanding it and caution to be thoughtful of others. Throughout my life, I have grown up with friends and family members who have struggled with various types of mental illness. I think its definitely important that even if you truly don’t understand or if you can’t really relate to what someone with a mental illness is going through, you are supportive and considerate of their struggles. Sometimes, I feel like people ignore or devalue the effect and impact of mental illness because it can’t see it like you can see other illnesses. Overall I think raising awareness of mental illness is still relevant and important.