Sports Has Always Been A Ticket Out

As I conclude this blogging series I would like to start off reminding the readers of the purpose of this blog and its evolved purpose. At the beginning of this series the purpose of this blog was to shine light on the civic issues that I find very important that puts urban areas in a disadvantage due to location, demographics, and economy. In this series, I have dived deeper into these problems on an emotional, political, economic, and personal level. Now as the series is coming to an end I believe it has also evolved another purpose. In addition, to shining light on the issues of urban areas this series has also allowed me to express the reason why I am the way I am about particular things. Though all the things that I mentioned were not my story some of the things I have personally experienced. This series allowed me to confidently expressed myself. The last topic that I will be touching on is something that I strongly believe in and above all things mentioned I hold most dear to me.

How do we escape?

Image result for basketball in urban areasSports has always been a ticket out. In Many urban areas sports, has allowed for many young man and women to escape the violence and hardships of the urban streets. Whether it be for only a min or for the rest of their lives sports for some was the only reason they are not incarcerated or dead today. As I previously mentioned I, myself, am from a suburban area and I honestly believe that sports saved me. As for the rest of my family that did not have the luxury of living in a suburban area lived and live in what we call the “gutter” of the “hood” and without a doubt their involvement in sports are keeping them out of a lot of trouble. For instance, I have an older cousin that everyday must pass the temptations of drug dealing and hustling however he chooses to play football, baseball, and baseball instead. His dedication and love for these sports and teams wills him every day to pass the temptations and instead better himself via playing sports.

By being active on the team he has learned many life lessons. While he practices and participates in his games he may not realize it but he was learning how to be confident, a part of a team, responsible, driven, timely, etc. These are all things that if he would have chosen to not play a sport he would have had to learn a different way or not at all. Fortunately, this is not just his story but this is the story of many young men and women that live in urban areas. In fact, is proven that increasing activity in the community is a way to better the community as a whole and lower crime rates.

In addition to the overall improvement of the community, sports overall better the health of the community physically and mentally. As I mention in one of my previous blogs, Urban Areas and Mental Health, sports also improve the mental health. This due to the strong bonds that are formed when playing on a team. Simply by feeling like you are a part of something has been proven to better ones’ self-image and confidence.

Image result for basketball in urban areasBecause so many people are aware of the effect of sports in urban areas there are many organizations, such as the Urban Sports Athletics, that are predominantly working in urban areas with the goal of bettering the community and are becoming very successful. For instance, Urban Sports Athletics instills a very important message in the youth, “hard work pays off”, and it is known that support like this has saved many young minds.

With that being said, as we finally conclude this series I ask that you reread this series and note the solutions to these many issues at the end of each blog and try to be a part of the solution. It is everyone’s job to help better each other. Thank you for following this series and I hope you take a look at some of my other blogs.