Fallingwater

I decided to dedicate this entire post to perhaps one of the most famous and iconic American homes ever built: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater.

This home is a marvel of engineering and artistic prowess, melded with the simple, quiet beauty of the natural environment of the woods in which it was constructed. Wright is the most famous American architect, and was extremely prolific in his time. His structures were both functional, majestic, and homey all at the same time. This home, Fallingwater, actually resides here in Pennsylvania. I would love to live there someday, but sadly, it’s a museum now.

Fallingwater, by Frank Lloyd Wright Image from: http://www.wright-house.com/frank-lloyd-wright/fallingwater-pictures/F1SW-fallingwater-in-fall.html

Fallingwater, by Frank Lloyd Wright
Image from: http://www.wright-house.com/frank-lloyd-wright/fallingwater-pictures/F1SW-fallingwater-in-fall.html

Yes, that is a waterfall running under the house, hence the name, falling water. The cantilevered design (counterbalanced levels and such) was such a daring undertaking at the time that many people feared the house would simply fall into the water. However, it clearly has not done so in the 78 years since its construction. This home is a prime example of blending natural environment with artificial structure. It all just fits. You get the sense that the home belongs here in the woods by this waterfall, and the two elements of falling water and seemingly falling levels of house complement each other perfectly.

Even the interior goes along with this theme of natural decoration and beauty, and the idea of flowing water. The floor is designed to look like wet stone, and the wide open windows allow the natural light to stream in, giving the whole structure an incredibly intimate feel with the surrounding woods.

Fallingwater-Interior

Fallingwater-Interior

You can almost feel the quiet serenity from looking at pictures, and I can only imagine how the homeowners must have felt, living in such a majestic home, and yet so in touch with the natural beauty of the hillside. It is a peaceful feeling, to imagine living atop of a waterfall, and being able to hear the gentle cascade of water while you relax by the fireplace.

So yes, kinda my dream house, if that wasn’t obvious already.

6 thoughts on “Fallingwater

1. I actually visited Fallingwater! Except I was in kindergarten, so I’m not sure how much I really gained from the experience. I vaguely remember that in one part of the house water actually ran across the floor for a ways and then fell back down through the floor? Maybe I’m making this up. Anyway, I’d love to go back now that I can actually appreciate it.

2. I want Fallingwater SO BADLY. This is my dream house too…Frank Lloyd Wright was a genius. Thank you for rekindling my urge to visit this house…and live there. (and by thank you I acutally mean “thank you Mark, but I kind of hate you for this” becuase now I’m just going to go back and pour some water down a sink and pretend that’s my own little waterfall).

3. It would definately be awesome to live in that house. It is a beautiful piece of architectural design and perhaps one of my favorite buildings. It just feels like it belongs in those woods. Its compatability with the surrounding envirnment is what makes the house so perfect.

4. I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!!! I read a book on Frank Lloyd Wright (historic fiction) and I absolutely loved it. Much of the book talked about his philosophy for architecture. I thought it was so interesting the way he used nature as his motivation and inspiration. This house is absolutely beautiful…and I totally agree with you about it being a dream home. Its my dream home too!

5. Pingback: Fallingwater von Frank Lloyd Wright