***FALL 2017 INITIATION***: Invitations to join Penn State’s chapter of Alpha Pi Mu will be sent out via email to all eligible students in late October.
Benefits of Membership
• Strong resume builder for career events
• The chance of leadership in an officer position (elections every spring)
• Scholarship Opportunities
• Interaction with fellow motivated peers
• Building academic relationships with the IE Faculty
• Prestige of joining a recognized, selective Honor Society
If eligible, you will receive an invitation via email in the fall.
• Junior Class: Top fifth of class with a minimum GPA of 3.20
• Senior Class: Top third of class with a minimum GPA of 3.00
• Graduate Students: Recommended by Department Head
How to Join
1. Attend the Mandatory Information Session
• After being invited to join APM, attend the info session to learn about the organization.
• Date and location TBD.
2. Faculty / Professor Meeting
• Meet with a faculty member to discuss personal interests, internships/co-ops, full-time jobs, graduate school, research, etc.
• Please write a (1) page double spaced statement on the topics discussed showcasing what you talked about and how it has possibly influenced your career/academic aspirations.
• Include faculty signature in application.
3. Community Service Requirement
• Demonstrate that you have completed one community service event within the past year.
• Include a signature from the service coordinator in the application
• or you can forward email confirmation to Emily Leight at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Fill Out and Turn In the Application with the Check
• Official application will be linked here after invitations are sent.
• Pay one-time $55 dues and include check (payable to “Alpha Pi Mu”) with completed application.
• Turn in completed application to 310 Leonhard. Date TBD.
Initiation will be held in the Leonhard Building a week after the application due date.
Alpha Pi Mu does have a limited amount of loan money available if you are financially unable to pay the dues at this time. Please see Dr. Harmonosky to apply for the loan.