Cat Discrimination??

I read an extremely, in my opinion, interesting article tonight from the Huff Post about how cat’s are discriminated in a similar way to people.  This is something completely foreign to me, I have never ever heard of such a discrimination but apparently according to researchers it can pose a real problem.

Apparently, cat’s are discriminated by people based off of the color of their fur, just as people are discriminated by other people based on their skin color.  People associate different fur colors with certain personality traits. For example, orange cats are perceived as friendly, white cats are perceived as “having an attitude,” and black cats don’t have a personality trait connected to them but surveys show that they are adopted less than any other colored cat.

From personal experience let me just throw my two cents in, my friend megan has an orange cat named Cheddar, he is a very skittish cat who normally runs away from human contact, so in my opinion that isn’t very friendly.  My grandma had a white cat named Puss and she was….for lack of a better word..a brat. She hissed at everyone and never let people hold her so in this specific case the “discrimination” falls true.  My cat however as you can see in one of my previous posts in a fully black cat.  He is the biggest lovable mush in the entire world.  I could never imagine going into a pet store, seeing him, and then picking a different cat.  Anyone who doesn’t love him is crazy!

But in order to tie this, somewhat, into the topic of animal abuse, researchers discuss that the cats that don’t get chosen from shelters are usually enthused.  So this discrimination factor poses a problem in that people probably won’t adopt black cats, and then will adopt white cats less then orange cats, leaving the cats who aren’t adopted to be put down.  Could we eventually live in a world of solely orange cats?? … That’s pushing it a little, but you get the picture.

cats-face-discrimination-fur-color-survey_n_2006937.html?utm_hp_ref=animals

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Cat Discrimination??

1. Molly O'Neill says:

That’s so sad! I love cats, I couldn’t imagine anyone not buynig a cat just because of the fur color. My cat’s black and white, and she’s very skittish. She won’t let anyone touch her except me.