Talking to Students… Interesting Clubs on Campus to Join

Posted by on Mar 13, 2013 in My Stories | 0 comments

One of the many great things about going to a school as largely populated as Penn State is that there are so many different student interests on campus! I went around the Hub and interviewed a few students about clubs at Penn State they are involved in. Here are the results…

Singing Lions

Rachael McCleary, a sophomore Advertising major at Penn State became a member of the Singing Lions her freshman year. According to their website, the Singing Lions is a¬†performance ensemble that¬†consists of music arranged for mixed voices, including jazz, Broadway, and pop. This talented group of students travel frequently throughout the year to perform at different venues. Rachael was excited to share with me that she just got back from an awesome spring break tour traveling throughout Florida. They performed at places like The Villages, an over 55 community in Orlando Florida. Rachael summed up her experience with Singing Lions by stating, “The Singing Lions has given me a home away from home. We’re a very close-knit family who love to sing, dance, and promote Penn State pride! I’m blessed to be in a group with such talented people.”

Here’s a picture of Rachael and her friends taken right before performing at The Villages! (Rachael is on the bottom left!)

556723_10151332314766130_563591146_n

Coaches Vs. Cancer

I was lucky enough to run into junior Accounting major Matthew Jones, Vice President of Coaches vs. Cancer. CVC is a club dedicated t fundraising money through PSU sports teams like men’s and women’s basketball. The highlight of their fundraising throughout the year is their annual 5k race, which raised over $7,000 last year! Matt told me, “the size of the club is fairly small, which offered me many opportunities to get active and heavily involved within the organization. I really felt like I was making a difference in the community too as some of the money raised stays local to help cancer patient and their families.”

3052_69480104908_8106970_n

468 ad