A New Beginning (Blog Migration)

After years of virtuallearningworlds.com being hosted by hostmysite.com, I’m migrating over to our University’s WordPress install. I often neglected the upgrades to WordPress when managing my own install, so I’m hoping by offloading the work I can get back to focusing on writing. I have a lot of updates to get to here with the various pages, then it’s time to reboot the writing efforts.

The first theme I’d like to start exploring is something kicking around in my brain for about a month. To frame it as a research questions:

Why do games get more interesting at scale, while education becomes less interesting?

Maybe ‘interesting’ isn’t the right word for education. This is in response to a lot of the research I’m doing around MOOCs. As a colleague (and many others) allude to, MOOCs are often the combination of all we know about bad pedagogy, wrapped into a course package. If we can use games as a lens, and apply that lens to MOOCs, what might we learn? Throughout the rest of 2014, I hope to write a few posts the examine specific game systems, and explore how those systems might be tweaked and applied to large, online course environments.

This entry was posted in Design, Games, Learning and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.