What does it mean to be Civic?

After reading two different pieces about what it means to be a civic person, I believe I have adapted my own definition based on the pieces that I would like to share with you. I believe that the first reading, “How People Learn to Be Civic,” written by Michael Schudson, brought up an interesting point about what being a civic citizen truly means. As the author questions, “Why is citizenship reduced to service rather than linked to justice?” it really made me think about what I consicivic-responsibility-poster-e1339467762252dered to be civic behavior. Following the reading of this question, I began to think that perhaps being civic isn’t necessarily all about doing charity work and things of the sort, but that perhaps being civic is doing what is morally right. These two concepts may seem very similar, and I confess there is a slight overlap between the two (it could be said that doing charity work is something that is morally right). However, there is also a distinct difference between the two. For example, if civic responsibility were simply linked to charity, than cheating on a test would not be considered a lapse in civic duty. I’m sure we can all agree that one would not be being a civic citizen if they were cheating in any form, but on the other hand, the situation would have nothing to do with charity, or “giving back to the community.” The situation would have to do with being an honest and just member of society. This is where I believe there is an error in society’s idea of citizenship. Being civic doesn’t just mean being a benevolent, charitable person, it means promoting and living by an idea of justice in your everyday life and in your community. Overall, while the concept of being civic may seem like an obvious definition, the idea often raises more question than it answers. I encourage you to respond and put what you believe to be your own ideas of civic duty!