Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you have ever taken Latin then you’d know that “puella magi” stands for magical girl. However, this story is revolutionary to the entire genre. I had first heard about this show last year and I thought, “Magical Girl? That sounds pretty stupid.” And I really have not heard of anything great about any magical girl genre ever, plus they are normally directed for a younger audience. Wow, I was completely wrong though. I watched this show this past weekend and have no idea how it ever got listed in the magical girl genre. This is truly a great tragedy and one of the best anime series I have seen in a while. The story is great, the artwork is beautiful, great music that went along with the genre, and the entire anime was directed amazingly.

The story focuses around a girl named Madoka Kaname who is an ordinary girl that lives in a distant future from our own time. She has this apocalyptic dream where she sees some girl fighting a witch and this little talking creature said that only Madoka had the power to change the future. When she wakes up that day and goes to class, the girl from her dream was there, Homura Akemi. Homura was really smart and athletic, but she had a secret. After class Madoka and her friend Sayaka MIKi went to the mall and they heard a voice calling to them. They followed the voice to see the same weird creature from Madoka’s dream.  Madoka saved the creature from Homura who was trying to kill it. Homura ran away and randomly Madoka and Sayaka got sucked into this strange world. Then this girl named Mami Tomoe saved all of them and explained that she was a magical girl who fought witches. The strange creature then offered to Madoka and Sayaka that they too can become magical girls and exchange for any wish they want granted. The creature is especially interested in Madoka because he says she has the power to become the greatest Magical Girl ever. But will Madoka or Sayaka ever give up everything and become magical girls for one wish?

The story focuses on this conflicting battle of whether or not to become a magical girl. You get one wish your heart desires, but you become a girl who has to fight witches until that girl dies. The story becomes a huge tragedy for those that become magical girls and who make contracts with this creature. The anime is very easy for anyone to sit down and watch. It is 12 episodes long and I watched it both in English Sub and English Dub. I actually really preferred reading the subtitles more since it was originally from Japan. This anime is actually huge even in America though and has two movies that came out in Florida, Ohio, Georgia, Washington, and California in theatres. The last movie is yet to be released. The manga with the show is the 3rd bestselling manga of all time and has won the most awards in anime. It has won basically every award that there is and it fits because this show is truly amazing. It left me speechless afterwards and I wanted more and cannot wait for the last movie to come out.

This show took the world of anime by storm with its beautiful artwork and story. The world of witches was a completely different art style then the rest of the show and it works amazing together. All of the characters are perfectly illustrated and well defined. You get to know all of the characters very well even though the central focus is around Madoka. In my opinion everything about this anime was great and I highly recommend it to everyone, anime fan or not.

4 thoughts on “Puella Magi Madoka Magica

1. I haven’t ever gotten into anime TV shows, but if this is as good as you say I may have to give it a try. I do love some anime movies, though. If you have never heard of Hayao Miyazaki, then you need to check out this movies. He’s done so many great Japanese anime movies written in English. My personal favorite is Princess Mononoke, but other amazing ones include Spirited Away (can’t count how many times I’ve seen this one), Howl’s Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, and my neighbor Totoro. These movies balance sophisticated plot lines and themes geared toward children. So anyone can enjoy them. One of his recent movies, Ponyo, was more geared toward to children, but I still enjoyed it. There’s always some fun adventure involved. All in all, they are the best Animes I’ve ever seen and their soundtracks are unbelievable.

2. I wonder if listing it in the magical girl genre was a strategic move to increase the audience base for anime among girls. Do we know any demographic details about the Managa/anime audiences? I vaguely recall that there are more male characters and fans. Maybe you can check this out and post this info for us next time.

3. I wonder if listing it in the magical girl genre was a strategic move to increase the audience base for anime among girls. Do we know any demographic details about the Managa audiences? I vaguely recall that there are more male characters and fans. Maybe you can check this out and post this info for us next time.

4. I do not know much about anime, but I do know that it involves a lot of skill, artwork, and creativity. Anime artists are very talented and very thoughtful when it comes to their work. I think that you did a good job describing the show to an audience that probably has not seen it before. You also made it reader friendly for readers who do not have a serious interest in anime. Good Job!