Wander With Me

Thinking of Belgium

This week I would like to celebrate Belgium. The country has been rocked by a reality that most countries around the world now fear on a daily basis. 30 people were killed when bombs exploded in the airport and a subway station in the capital, Brussels. This attack occurred days after a man involved in the Paris attacks was arrested. Was the Brussels attack in response to this capture? Or was the man captured on Friday involved in the planning of the attack on Tuesday morning? It is too soon to tell just who is responsible. I hope that whoever is behind the attack is brought to justice soon.

Belgium is a small but diverse country and I’d like to celebrate that this week.

Here's a map so we don't get lost!

Here’s a map so we don’t get lost!

My Itinerary:

brussels-belgium

Brussels

I’d begin in Brussels, the capital of Belgium. Home to renowned architecture, history, and museums, I would want to explore the city for several days. A few notable areas to visit are Lower Town, a district that has crumbling homes adjacent to sprawling mansions, the Grand Palace, and the Musées Royaux des Beaux Arts.

From Brussels, I would travel to the northeastern portion of the country and visit the city of Antwerp.

Antwerp

Antwerp

Antwerp is one of the largest cities in Belgium and functions as a major port. The city is a sprawling, but flat metropolis cut in half by the Scheldt river. Antwerp has beautiful architecture, as seen in the Grote Markt, which is the famous central square in the city. Antwerp also has famous museums, like Onze Lieve Vrouwekathedraal, which has four paintings by Reuben. (One of my favorite painters!) Antwerp was home to Reuben’s studio.

Bruges

Bruges

Tracking back west across the country, another city that I would want to visit is Bruges, in the state of Flanders. Bruges has a reputation of being one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. The city has narrow canals, intertwined around even narrower streets. A logical place to begin exploring Bruges are the two main squares, Markt and Burg. I would love to wander around this city for days, taking in all that I could possibly see.

d88e04a3b0756190d976d5a551b40904

Namur

Travelling to the most southern state of Ardennes, would be an absolute dream. This area is different than the rest of the industrial areas of Belgium. Rolling hills give way to winding rivers and deep canyons. There is actually an expansive cave system that was carved out by underground river systems! I would visit the small city of Namur, which is considered the gateway to the Ardennes region. I’d want to climb the citadel and get a view of the River Sambre, and then explore the town. Another worthwhile stop in this region is Bouillon, a small town that hugs the border of France.

Bouillon

Bouillon

The picturesque town sits on a curve in the river Semois, and is most renowned for remnants of an ancient castle.

Belgium is in my heart this week, and I’d love to travel there someday.

08bouclesmeuse

Another picture of Ardennes because it’s beautiful!

3 Responses to “Thinking of Belgium”

1. ceh5464

The photos in your post look wonderful! The events that have occurred in Belgium recently are horrifying, but that doesn’t change the beauty of the country. Great post!

2. Nancy

I didn’t really know much about Belgium, but now thanks to your blog I get some tidbits about the wonders in the country. Thanks for sharing!

3. kmb6458

Love your blog post, as always!!!!! Belgium is such a gorgeous country, and I am so glad that you chose to write about it! I also really like the photos you chose!