Advisor/Officers

FACULTY ADVISOR / OFFICER INFORMATION Faculty Advisor: Dr. Judi Withrow | e-mail: jaj28@psu.edu  

President: Elizabeth Smith | e-mail: eas6078@psu.edu

Liz has been involved with the Psychology Club for three years. She lives in Virginia with her husband, dogs and a cat, and has two kids serving on active duty, and a granddaughter. After graduation, Liz plans to continue her psychology education, but is still exploring her desired path.

Vice President: Vivian Schoning | e-mail: vqs5342@psu.edu

Vivian has been enrolled with Penn State World Campus since Spring 2023 and is pursuing her Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. She lives in Germany with her family and her cat and dog. Initially, Vivian pursued a degree towards Communication Management however quickly realized her interests aligned more with Biopsychology. After graduation she intends to go to graduate school and pursue a degree in Neuroscience or Biomedical Science. She is fascinated with the brain and how currently untreatable diseases like Alzheimer’s come about and could potentially be treated. She is also heavily interested in researching the meaning of dreams and, respectively, sleep. In her free time, Vivian likes to travel, cook all kinds of foods, and binge too many series and recently has started contemporary dancing.

Secretary: Yuki Yamashita | e-mail: yvy5498@psu.edu

Hi everyone, this is Yuki (she/her). I’m a transfer student, pre-majoring in psychology and majoring in international politics with a concentration on international relations. I am studying psychology because I would like to learn more about mental health especially music therapy, which is the field of study, I’m going to pursue after graduated from Penn State. In Psychology Club, I am working as secretary, and broadening my horizon toward cultural differences in a conversation of mental health. I’m part of Psychology Club to learn more about psychology and sub-fields of psychology. I am so excited to work and cooperate with other officers and participants of monthly lectures.

Treasurer: Katherine Marin | e-mail: kqm6126@psu.edu

Web Coordinator: Lindsay Zorn | e-mail: lmz5385@psu.edu

Hey everyone! I am thrilled to be your Web Coordinator for the ‘23-’24 academic year. I’ve been in love with the subject of psychology since I was able to take an intro class my junior year of high school. I can read psychology books like a good novel! I began my journey with World Campus in Spring 2023, returning to school to finish my degree. I immediately sought out the Psychology Club and am so grateful for the community it’s given me. Last year I completed training to become a certified yoga instructor, and am registered with Yoga Alliance. In my free time I like taking walks with my dog Dolly Parton, creative journaling, reading, practicing yoga, and watching streaming tv.

Membership  Coordinator: Rich Carney  | e-mail: rpc5682@psu.edu

Hi, I’m Rich and excited to be the membership coordinator. I attended collegein 2006-2009studying biology and after changing my mind about biology, I took a break from school and worked. In 2012, I was diagnosed with Vasculitis, a rare autoimmune disease, and went on disability. I had the opportunity to do volunteer work with nonprofits and a service term with AmeriCorps National Health Corps as a patientadvocate. When I was well enough to go back to school, I began studying psychology here at Penn State. I am hoping to attend graduate school for clinical psychology with aconcentration in health psychology. I’m also involved in the Online Students of Psychology Research lab and working on a project to help other Penn State students with disabilities navigate college. When I’m not doing schoolwork or research I train and play with my service dog, Cody, in Philadelphia, PA. I love to bake (I make a killer cheesecake and lavender shortbread), hike, and tinker with electronics and various DIY projects.

Mind Over Matters Editor: Laura Gamble | e-mail: lag6018@psu.edu

Greetings! I’m Laura, and I’m honored to serve as the editor for Mind Over Matters. Two decades ago, I began my college journey as a music education major. However, I took a hiatus to raise my four children. Later, I shifted my academic focus and earned an associate degree in psychology from Casper College in Wyoming, in the spring of 2022. I then transitioned to Penn State to pursue my bachelor’s degree in psychology and am set to graduate in May 2024. Currently, I’m a research assistant at the World Campus’s Online Students of Psychology research lab. My primary focus is studying the effects of high-control religious environments on female-born individuals, in addition to assisting with other students’ projects. My aspirations include obtaining a PhD in psychology, contributing to innovative curriculum development, and teaching at the university level. Additionally, I’m a virtual intern with the Secretary’s Office of Global Women’s Issues at the Department of State. There, I help to amplify the efforts of women and girls engaged in climate solutions and enhance my skills in research, writing, and DEI initiatives. Outside of my academic pursuits, I delight in cheering at my children’s events, hiking, birdwatching, exploring the Pittsburgh, PA region, reading, and traveling to PSU University Park to visit my oldest, a college freshman.