January 26

Exploring New Sub Genres

Discz

When making my decision to explore new genres this semester, I found an app to help me do that. Discz is an app that allows users to explore all types of new music recommended by other users. There are groups based off of genres, and after joining a group you have access to the groups mixes. A mix is a collection of 4-5 songs, and the app plays a small preview of the song. Discz is essentially tinder for music, because it utilizes the swiping right and left feature to choose songs you like or don’t like.

Discz Music Company Profile: Valuation & Investors | PitchBook

Alternative Metal

One of the discoveries I have made on this app is a sub genre of metal: alternative metal. While this isn’t an entirely new genre for me, I have never really listened to it enough to appreciate it. Alternative metal is a genre based off of metal/heavy metal with influences from alternative rock. There are a couple popular bands from this genre that I have heard of such as Deftones and Radiohead (more alternative rock than metal), but I had never taken the time to listen to their discographies before this week. I have also discovered a couple artists that I have never heard of, such as Gojira and Elder.

Deftones

Despite hanging out with big fans of Deftones for most of high school, I didn’t really know what their sound was until very recently. The first thing I have noticed after listening to various albums is they are easily able to jump between the extreme sounds of metal and alternative between different songs. The first song I listened to was called 7 Words off of their 1995 album Adrenaline. It is extremely upbeat and in your face, and the rough vocals made me think of Rage Against the Machine.

10 lesser known Deftones songs that everyone needs to hear | Kerrang!

However, after listening to other titles in various albums I soon realized why they were labeled as alternative metal. I can only describe the sound as soft metal, because of how passive the vocals can be. The contrast between the vocals and background music is what defines the sound of the genre to me.

Slipknot

Slipknot (10th Anniversary Edition) - Album by Slipknot | Spotify

After being invited to a slipknot concert last year, I tried to listen to their music so I could enjoy the concert more. However, something came up and I was unable to go so I never listened to more than a couple songs. Fortunately I was able to rediscover slipknot after finding this genre in my exploration for new music. Slipknot is a little too heavy for my liking, but there are still things about them that I like. Slipknot has a lot of down-tuned “chug” riffs that I personally really enjoy listening to. These types of riffs are also one of my favorite types to play, so I always feel a need to sit down and learn them after hearing it. Slipknot typically sticks to a thrash/scream vocal tone (example here) with a very heavy feel to most songs, so if I want to get some energy during my morning or at the gym they are the perfect band.

Overall I am glad I was able to explore alternative metal as a genre recently. I am not a big fan of a lot of metal, but a couple of these bands are right up my alley. I look forward to what I will find in the future weeks of blogging.

Posted January 26, 2023 by ggr5098 in category Uncategorized