Ted Talks and Unit Two

The TED Talk I liked was called “What Makes a Good Life? Lessons from the Longest Study on Happiness. I liked it because it’s a non-political and beneficial topic. There is little negativity and the man speaks in an eloquent and easy to follow style. His visual aids are appealing and helpful and provide a great amount of context with a solid introduction. It’s nothing super fancy and follows a model that many other TED Talks follow. He also builds ethos in a surprising way and shows that he has authority on the topic. He uses repetition in an impactful way and just hits you with surprising information every time. There are funny parts and there are sad ones. It’s a very well made TED Talk and leaves a very impactful message.

For my unit two projects, I wanted to talk about a topic that I think more people need to look at. My topics were going to be related to Marxism, a vilified ideology that most people misunderstand. Even those who claim to be Marxists barely even know what they are talking about. I wanted to discuss how Marxism views history. It sees it as a series of paradigm shifts and studies the world in a material lens. The paradigm shifts that are analyzed in Marxist theory explain why the world is like what is today and explains a viable alternative and potential future for humans. I think the topic maybe too broad but it is something that I think is very valuable. I want to challenge myself and write something impactful. Rather than writing about something small and trivial, I want to leave people in a different state of mind. I want people to try rethinking how they thought before and I think this topic could truly show people a different perspective.

Alternatively, I was considering writing about conspiracies and why there are so many. I could write about shifts in science and rejection in science. I was also considering religion and world politics. I’m not dead set on anything, so any thoughts, ideas, or criticisms would be much appreciated.

3 Comments

1. pjv5147
    ·

It is crazy to see how your environment and happiness can affect your life so much. I think that all of your topics are strong, personally I think the idea of exploring conspiracy theories would be very interesting. Getting to take a look at conspiracy theories and the culture around it could be a very interesting TED talk.

2. whw5059
    ·

I like your idea about Marxism. Personally, I am not too familiar with this ideology, but I am aware of the negative connotation frequently attributed to it. I am interested to see how you further develop your argument, and want to warn you of biased political sites. I am sure you already knew that, but be aware of sites that display false information based on their political views.

3. Jeremy
    ·

I like your idea with marxism, however I really like your idea with conspiracy theories. Everybody loves them so getting people’s attention would be no problem. Also, there are so many out there that you won’t run out of material. There is also a downside to that as you will have to narrow your topics down to what you see as most important. I feel this is a great topic, and mentioning the rejection of science will really help you explain the paradigm shift.