Cara Delevingne

“Just when the Caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.”

Cara

Coming out is probably one of the most difficult part of the lives of all non-straight people. However, coming out for a public figure such as Cara Delevingne who is a 23 year old model from London, United Kingdom, can be more of an obstacle when being examined by thousands of fans and critics. The modern idea of term “coming out” was developed throughout LGBT history, which soon lead to the creation of the first national coming out day which was marked on October 11th, 1988.

In 2015 Cara did an interview, that covered some personal topics one of them happened to be her love life, with one of the most popular magazines in today’s society, Vogue, which caused controversy after the article seemed to suggest that her bisexuality could be a phase. During this interview she chatted with Rob Haskell about how modeling was not the main dish and that acting is and always will be the thing. Cara also began chatting about her love life stating that “ Being in love with my girlfriend is a big part of why I’m feeling so happy with who I am these days. And for those words to come out of my mouth is actually a miracle.” By starting off her response about her love life with that one sentence was Cara Delevingne’s way of clearing all rumors about her sexuality and love life. Cara started to explain that she felt confused by her sexuality as a child, and the possibility of being gay frightened her until she fell in love with a girl at the age of 20 and recognized that it was time to accept it. She continued saying that her parents also seem to think that girls are just a phase for Cara, and Rob Haskell agreed with what her parents said. Rob Haskell’s thoughts on Cara’s bisexuality during this part of the interview is what caused uproar over the Internet that caused 13,000 people who were against Rob Haskell of Vogue stating that Cara’s bisexuality was a phase to respond to the Vogue interview. This brings me back to a line from the article “ The Straight Mind,” by Monique Wittig that reads “ Lesbian is the only concept I know of which is beyond the categories of sex (woman and man), because the designated subject (lesbian) is not a woman… for what makes a woman is a specific social relation to a man, a relation that we previously called servitude….” I referred back to this line because it is useful for the “ its just a phase” reactions about Cara’s sexuality, those such as Cara’s mother and Vogue’s Rob Haskell fall into this category of non- straight people not taking the people of the LGBTQ community serious when it comes to their sexuality. Heterosexual people have a tendency of not respecting the sexuality of lesbians and bisexual women who are dating females, because the thought of a woman not marrying a man starting a family with that man is unenvisionable because that is not how society is “supposed” to be.