This rare photograph (left) captures the facade of the Power Plant, or the central heating plant, on campus in November 1969. As the first building constructed on the Olmsted Air Force Base in 1957, the Power Plant is the center of heat production for Penn State Harrisburg and keeps all of the buildings on campus running smoothly and efficiently. The Power Plant is still located on campus near the intersection of College Avenue and University Drive.
Unfortunately, little information is known about the mural, who painted it, or why it appeared on the building’s facade. An earlier photograph of the Power Plant dated June 1967 (right) and from Penn State Harrisburg’s College History Archives, indicates that the mural did not yet exist.