Do you remember the Nestle’s Wonder Ball? If you were a 90’s kid or living during the 90’s, then you’re probably well acquainted with this exciting candy. So what happened to Wonder Balls, those tasty, light orbs of chocolate with prizes inside? Sadly, tragically, they were discontinued in 2004. This is the sad, true story, of the Wonder Ball.

wonderball2

Wonder Balls were initially called the Nestle Magic Balls, as they were sold and distributed by Nestle a Swiss food and drink company in the mid-1990s. They were made up of hollow milk chocolate that stored a small, plastic toy. Usually, it was a Disney or Pokemon character. The product was discontinued in 1997 because parents complained that the Chocolate was dangerous because of the toy that was inside of the chocolate ball. They said toys inside the chocolate were choking hazards. Nestle argued that the chocolate and they toy was completely safe, but they still discontinued the product.

Later, in 2000, Nestle brought back the candy. They said new New year, new me! New name, new idea! They were now going to be called Wonder Balls, and instead of toys, they were going to be filled with candy. They were sold on shelves four years before the Nestle sold the Wonder Ball to The Frankford Company in 2004. The Frankford Company then later discontinued the Wonder Ball. Know one know why the company decided to discontinue the chocolate even after fans reached out for an explanation, no statement was released.

If want to really really really relive your childhood.The Wonder Ball, is actually still available!But exclusively on the Frankford’s website.

www.frankfordcandy.com

You know what else is really cool? If you buy it on their website, you can customize the Wonder Ball with your favorite candies and characters!

One more thing, if you go to this link

http://www.wonderballisback.com

you can enter for a chance to win 500 Wonder Balls!That’s a lot of chocolate so if you win share some with me!

They’re also sold at Wal-Mart because that’s much more convenient. Make sure you check first to see if they sell the Wonder Ball at your local Wal-Mart

6 thoughts on “A treat from the past

1. I totally forgot about these! Wow, that was so long ago now, it’s ridiculous. Back then, I never thought that the Wonder Balls would be discontinued; they just disappeared one day. ‘Tis a shame.

2. Oh my goodness!I had something similar when I went to London over the summer — it was called a Kinder Egg, I think, and it was so good! I’m bummed that I missed out on these as a child

3. There was another reason they discontinued the Magic balls… they were causing Allergic reactions.