Lovely Little Lonely – The Maine

**The songs mentioned can be found at the bottom of the review!**

The Maine (band) - WikipediaThis album was a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the albums I’ve listened to for this blog. If you’re not listening to this album with earbuds or driving down a highway with your windows down, you’re not doing it justice. I’ve heard of The Maine before this (thanks to my older sister), but never took the time to listen to any of their songs because I never could remember to. Let me just say I can’t believe I’ve lived 18 years without The Maine. The cross that this band has between rock and alternative/indie is indescribable; it’s perfect. Not gonna lie, this might be one of my new favorite bands.

Best Overall: Taxi – Ah, this song reminds me of my older sister. Taxi is more chill compared to the other songs I mention in this post, but it fits more of my vibe. If you listen closely to the base background music without the drums and guitar, it sounds like something that would be played behind a Barenaked Ladies song if you even know who that is. Either way, this song tells a sad story about two people who go out and get drunk to forget all of their sadness and problems. By the end, the two people sitting in the back of a taxi realize that they have each other and they’ll never be alone again, which is pretty sweet. 

Most Underrated: Lost in Nostalgia – If every word had a song associated with it, this would be nostalgia’s. Something about the music and the simple lyrics makes you feel nostalgic when you listen to it. I don’t know, but it’s kinda cool.

The Maine (@themaine) / Twitter

Most Popular: Black Butterflies Déjà Vu – Most of the time, the Most Popular song in an album is too auto-tuned or in my opinion, doesn’t deserve to be the most listened to, and this song is the reason I prefaced this sentence with most of the time and not all of the time. Do you remember being younger and pretending you were in a band with your friends and head banging while playing the air drums or air guitar? This song makes me want to do that and I’m completely okay with it. There are a couple of little build ups that I personally used to make myself less dizzy before head banging again, but it changes the pace of the song and keeps it interesting. 

Honorable Mention: Bad Behavior – I didn’t know that I knew this song until it came on and wow was I excited to listen to it again. Listening to this song did make me laugh a little to myself because of the way that “bad behavior” is pronounced, it kinda sounds like “bad beyaya,” but I love the song nonetheless. 

The Maine Have Shared A Glistening New Track 'Pretender' - News - Rock Sound Magazine

Least Best: The Sound of Reverie – I have a love/hate relationship with albums that only have good songs, because it’s always difficult to pick a song for the Least Best category. I’d totally recommend this song to anyone who likes the rest because it fits The Maine’s vibe perfectly, but it simply wouldn’t be the first one I would recommend to anyone, that’s all. Also putting this song in this category because I didn’t know what reverie meant until I looked it up (it means “a state of being pleasantly lost in one’s thoughts; a daydream”). Still a good song!