When in Venice, Do As the Venetians Do? Is That a Phrase and More

Usually when ruminating over what the topic of my blog for the week should be, I google “bucket list ideas.” Today, I just wasn’t feeling that. While looking through some potential ideas, I was totally uninspired. So in response, I tuned out the lovely John Waters and his always intriguing Biology 141 lecture to think over my own personal bucket list I’ve had since (basically) birth.

Thus this week we’ll be looking at taking a gondola ride through the canals of Venice, Italy.

Venice is a city comprised of 118 small islands connected by almost two hundred canals throughout the Venetian Lagoon. It’s known for its beauty, interesting architecture and unique layout. So why not go there, right?

The main methods of transportation in Venice (a car-free city) involve traveling along the canals. Today, both gondolas and vaporettis are the most common. Vaporettis are water buses designed to carry a large amount of people throughout the city. Gondolas are the more upscale, classical and expensive version of public transportation. They are flat-bottomed rowing boats controlled by your own personal gondolier, who will take you to your destination.

If you’re in Venice, a gondola ride is simply mandatory.

Usually a ride begins with a haggle with the gondolier over prices. (Gondola rides can be expensive, so bring tissues to prepare you for when the gondolier drops the price.)

After that part is over, your relaxation time begins. I’d recommend a ride along the back canals because they’re usually less crowded and more serene. They’ll let you experience a different, less touristy side of Venice.

Pick out some landmarks you’d like to visit before your trip. Some possible locations include St. Mark’s Basilica, the Piazza San Marco and the Lido di Venezia.

It gets even better. Picture all of this…….but while your gondolier serenades you in a melodic voice with classical Venetian songs.

I just like to imagine myself sitting in a gondola looking over the beauty of Venice while a gondolier sings to me. There’s probably nothing more relaxing in this world than this.

Is there a better place to ponder over life’s greatest mysteries than a gondola?

Works Cited:

Bakerjian, Martha. “What to Know about Gondola Rides in Venice.” About Travel. About.com, n.d. Web. 08 Oct. 2014.
Dream Places. Digital image. Pinterest. Pinterest, n.d. Web. 08 Oct. 2014.
Piazza San Marco. Digital image. Everyday Living. N.p., n.d. Web.
Skip the Line: Best of Venice Tours. Digital image. Tours4fun. Tours4fun, n.d. Web.

Comments

1. Nataliya Gagarkina says:

I went to Venice last summer and it was BEAUTIFUL! I love that you decided to write about it, especially since Italy is my favorite place to be. You should also consider researching Florence since it is a little calmer and just as beautiful..

2. Nicholas Capri says:

As a spoiled brat, I am happy to say that I crossed this one off my own bucket list a few years ago. Venice is unlike any city I’ve ever been to, and I hope you all have the opportunity to go! (FYI the canals smell a little)

3. Aubrey Marie Swanson says:

Wow this sounds amazing. Just for this post I’m going to make a bucket list and put Venice boat ride as my #1.

4. Ross Anthony Maietta says:

This is a life long dream of mine. I’ve been dying to go to Italy ever since I could eat pizza and Venice is definitely on my top priority list. The ambiance there seems astounding and I cannot wait to be there.

5. Shannon Reinke says:

I love that you wrote about Venice! It is a beautiful city that would be amazing to visit. This post taught me some things that I hadn’t known before about it. I too have Venice on my bucket list and this post made me want to go there even more.

Speak Your Mind