Thinking about graduating from the Academy is somewhat unsettling. I’ve been a part of this organization for nearly three and a half years now. It’s become a part of who I am. The academy has been an integral platform for me, providing me a place to grow, a place to positively reflect on my experiences, and the time to think about who I want to become, all while exposing me to multiple viewpoints. Despite the drastic differences in opinions of members of the academy, as a middle grounder on most topics, I’ve been pushed to think deeply about controversial issues, and question my first instincts. This has been very beneficial for me, and also sometimes frustrating. Nonetheless, I have grown to understand that there are ways to see certain situations differently. What may appear to be common sense goodness to me can easily be manipulated into something negative by a different perspective. Thus, being a part of this academy has forced me to think about my own thoughts, to investigate where they come from, and to try and see multiple perspectives of an issue instead of settling into my own.

I’m not sure if all of my peer’s can say the same. I often notice the fierceness, emotional, and determined ways, in which they argue over topics such as racial or gender inequality, gun rights, abortion, and environmental issues, and all understandably so. While I certainly don’t claim to know much about every issue, it often appears as though people fail to attempt a sincere understanding of the other side of the issue. Or else they assume the worst of any person who contradicts them.  I think that we all seek justice, but we often demonize those who have differing opinions from us. This lack of empathy, while it may be through unconscious effort, prevents rational conversation and instead invokes emotion. To me, it often appears as though we incorrectly make assumptions about an individual’s thought and character. For example, if someone says they disagree with you on a particular issue and you think “well if they don’t agree with me on this, then they must be at the opposite side of the spectrum, and therefore they must think x, y, and z and that makes me think x, y, and z about them.” I have seen this happen on multiple occasions in class, and outside of it, where a comment was made and someone expressed how hurt or disgusted they were about this and that and so forth. I’m thinking, wait a minute, did they even hear what was said? Or did they just jump to all these conclusions in their head?

That being said, I think that most of the discussions I’ve been a part of in the academy have been great learning experiences. For starters, to even bring together so many people with such differing opinions is a feat. The fact that we have these conversations together, and can honestly and respectfully speak with one another is impressive. It takes courage and confidence to have discussions on the difficult issues. Being in the academy has pushed me to become more courageous about sharing my thoughts.  I think that these experiences alone, are more than most people have the chance to take part in. Typically I notice that people stay within their own spheres, especially here at Penn State. By surrounding themselves with people who share their beliefs, they miss out on the opportunity to learn from others because they simply don’t want to be put in an uncomfortable situation. As uncomfortable as some of the PLA discussions have been, the academy has managed to create an incredible culture of acceptance. As we move towards understanding each other, I think this is immensely important. Nowhere else have I seen such a diverse group of students work together, become friends. This has been a very valuable experience.

As I prepare to leave the Academy, I will do my best to exhibit leadership. I will be dedicated to my work as I finish out my last semester, and I will take this quality of motivation with me as I start working full-time. I will work with integrity, and come up with honest solutions when problems arise. I will be fair to myself and to the people I work with. I will do my best to be assertive and to be an analytical decision maker. But what I will take from the Academy, is an open-minded attitude and approach. I will listen to others and refrain from judging them based on appearances or a single conversation. I will be accepting of all individuals and strive to put myself in their shoes. I will take the time to reflect on my experiences and remain calm in the face of adversity. I will make sacrifices when sacrifices are due, but keep my eye on the big picture, and look for holistic solutions. I won’t be perfect but I’ll be my best.  Maybe it’s because I see it every day on the plastic tube as I wash my face, but purity is a good motto to live by. The philosophy is this:

You don’t have to be perfect to be pure. Purity is intention. Be truthful with your words and actions. Keep your promises. Purity is perspective. Keep an open mind, and reserve judgment. Purity is principle. Treat others the way you want to be treated. No one is perfect, but we all can be pure. Purity is being your best self.

~Philosophy Skin Care

I try to live by this philosophy. I think any good leader should. As I move on from Penn State and from the Presidential Leadership Academy, though I will miss all of the people and experiences greatly, I will take with me many lessons learned. Mostly I will take the culture of caring, open-mindedness, acceptance, and courage.