Yesterday I attended the SHC Alumni Connect Event of 2015. Many of my friends were confused as to why I was attending since I already have a full-time job. However, I saw it as an opportunity to just hear some new insight. When listening to the finance panel moderated by Nico, there definitely was a little overlap of info that I already was aware of, such as the different routes in finance, i.e. banking vs corporate finance. But I came in with a positive outlook, because who knows what info I could stumble upon. It was a great discussion consisting of three panelists, two whom had worked at investment banks. As I will soon be starting at the bottom of the chain, it’s safe to say that I am quite nervous. Therefore, asking a question as simple as what is the best way to start off on the right foot, provided some insight and a little relief to say the least. Of course these next few years are going to be extremely difficult and an uphill battle as I start over from scratch, but that is what makes it so exciting. It was thrilling to hear the panelists speak about their experience starting off at investment banks and the thrill of the finance industry and markets in general. It reminded me that no matter how nervous I am, it is about to be a very exciting time in my life. It reminded me of the thrill of this past summer, of all the new people I had the chance to interact with and the buzz of the market opening bell each day. A huge part of me forgot that feeling this year as I have been completely entranced in the every day bustle of college life, school work, my thesis and so forth.

But the next chapter is right around the corner and I should not lose sight of that. Furthermore, I had the chance to interact with freshman and sophomore finance majors. There was one girl who said to me “I wish I was in your shoes.” To hear this completely boggled me!! I have been so caught up in my own mind that I forgot that at the end of the day I am a senior and I somehow managed to navigate the super day jungle (countless interviews for an internship at an investment bank). I know I am completely hard on myself too many times more often than I should be and I know I still have not achieved a great deal of caliber in my life as I would like to, but it was a nice reminder that maybe I have accomplished a thing or two during my time here. It also made me take a step back and realize the huge need I have to help others. Instead of focusing and worrying so much about myself I should take more time to provide guidance to younger students (only of course if they want it.) But this student was so excited to hear my experience and asked if I could mentor her -I was in true disbelief. So I just started chatting, providing any assistance I could. And while this seemed like mundane information to me, it truly seemed to help her. I felt very encouraged and uplifted to be of help.

What a nice reminder if not wake up call, to the importance of stepping back away from my own preoccupied mind to take it all in perspective and provide advice if my help could be used.