I was very upset when I realized that I would not be able to attend the spring trip or, as I have seen on social media, #plasjourneyfor justice. I remember feeling overloaded with information – both intellectually and emotionally demanding – throughout the trip that I attended. For this reason, I spent a lot of my time digesting this information and attempting to cohere my thoughts into well-formed opinions (FYI: I spent a lot of time talking to my mom about how I feel). I do not want to spend this blog post discussing how the trip impacted me personally because, quite frankly, everyone undoubtedly experienced this trip differently and everyone’ perspective is unique. If I had to guess, I would say that everyone would agree that de facto segregation and “color blind” racism are still present in today’s America. It’s racism in a different form, a new Jim Crow. More subtle but racism nonetheless.

Rather, I would like to express how proud of the PLA am I. This was not an easy project to tackle. Aside from all the logistical struggles (I can’t even imagine how hard it must have been coordinate all the details), the PLA also had to confront all the emotional struggles that the trip would ensue. So, I commend the PLA and can’t even begin to express how extremely proud I am to be affiliated with such a wonderful organization. I hope that the PLA continues to pursue class trips that are enjoyable and socially pertinent, engaging, and challenging. Can’t wait to hear everyone’s stories!