I’ve been spending a lot of time preparing for the MCAT recently. It seems like I still have months to prepare; however, at the beginning of last week I have a meager two more months to prepare. Two months may seem like a lot of time (I could cram a third of an o-chem course into a weekend). But let me tell ya, the MCAT is nothing like a traditional challenging major requirement course. Think of five crazy hard courses and combine the entirety of the content into one exam. That’s a start to understand what the MCAT is like. Then add critical thinking questions analogous to the SAT or any other annoying standardized test. To sum it up, the MCAT is difficult.

Anyways, I don’t want to seem like I am complaining. Yes, it’s tough but I’ll be able to manage it. Just need to put in the time. I bring it up because I’ve low key been caving myself in to study….and this weekend my parents wanted me to come visit for Easter. Initially, I had told them that I wasn’t going to be able to make it because I needed to take a full-length practice test. But then I realized something…

Full disclosure: I come to this realization many time throughout a semester but each time I do it’s equally as refreshing.

I realized that it’s never good to entirely beat yourself up over schoolwork. It’s important to take breaks – to take a step back and enjoy something else that’s going on around you. In my case, I realized that it was the right thing to do to go and visit my family. I haven’t seen my grandparents and my extended family in quite some time. We were able to catch up and play our traditional Ping-Pong games, which I should add, always get too heated and frequently end in broken paddles – a broken hand one year. Yes, I still have a lot to study but I returned to campus today with a renewed clarity of the incredible family that I have to fall back on.