When I decided to switch my second major to French even I doubted my decision-making skills. IST and Security Risk Analysis (SRA) are so commonly paired together that the college is very good at making the schedule work for students. I would have, perhaps, been able to graduate early and would have been able to coast fairly simply through my scholastic world. But after a semester of giving SRA a shot, I found that it truly wasn’t for me. I dreaded going to my primary SRA courses because it was truly so uninteresting to me it became physically taxing. I would find myself fidgeting, getting up for 20 minutes to roam the hallways, reading tech news in class, etc. instead of paying attention to the course material that was presented to me. Part of this was the fact that I had an extremely poor teacher, but the majority of my issue with SRA was truly the subject matter. After that semester, I vowed to forsake my second major. I toyed with the idea of simply being an IST student, but that just didn’t feel right to me. I knew I had the capacity to add something else to my day, but I couldn’t figure out what.

Upon further analysis and after much deliberation, I remembered that I had transferred a bunch of French credits over to Penn State from high school. In high school, I was dually enrolled at The University of Pittsburgh and had accumulated a semester’s-worth of French credits, which helped a lot when coupled with my testing-out of French 1 and French 2. I had effectively knocked off 4 French courses before even coming to college, so I thought, “Why not give a double major in French a shot?” At that time, I just thought of French as a convenient supplement whose sole purpose would be personal entertainment and perhaps look good on a résumé. I had no idea then just how useful my French language education would truly be.

In my first internship with Mars, Inc. I found on day one that half of my team was based in the north of France. It quickly became clear that the I would need to use my competencies a few times a week at least as we had regular calls with the French team. This not only provided me with great visibility, but also impressed my superiors. Anyone from their talent pool who had been offered an internship could effectively (enough) do what I was doing from a technical perspective. But they truly weren’t expecting the level of French competency and were surprised by the number of contacts I was able to make and maintain using my language skills.

The same was true in my second internship at GE Power in Atlanta. My team wasn’t split half and half with France this time, but a significant portion of our company was headquartered in the country and in Canada, where French is frequently spoken as a second, if not predominant language. This was again a major asset to my professional development and allowed me to work more closely with the teams in France than others who weren’t at the same level as I was.

This is why, when I see schools shutting down their language programs in favor of STEM or Arts classes, I shudder. I realize that all of the aforementioned are crucial to having a well-rounded education, but to favor one over the other is ignorant and short-sighted. Even my high school in my hometown has discontinued their French 5 class, leaving those like my brother who want to take the class with a significantly detrimental online option. As I speak with my brother frequently, I hear his lamentations on the regular, including how he feels the online work isn’t as robust as working face-to-face with a teacher. And I don’t blame him. Some classes are conducive to online learning, but languages are not one of them. I have tried learning with tools like DuoLingo, an online application designed to help its users learn languages quickly and, although it has been useful to some extent, it is no substitute for a veritable and competent teacher.

As my time at Penn State comes to a close, I would urge those who are interested in double-majoring in a language to not only do so, but to leap at the opportunity. Languages open doors I never even knew existed until I was through them. I would equally encourage that same subset to go back to their elementary schools, middle schools and high schools and demonstrate to their teachers and administrators the benefits of being language education. Those of us who have the experience also have the opportunity to change the lives of those who come after us. Make me proud.