Several weeks ago, just like millions of Americans across the country, I, too, was glued to the edge of my seat while watching Superbowl 51. What an amazing comeback by the New England Patriots! Congratulations to the Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady for winning his fifth Superbowl, as well as to the Falcons for a superb season.

However, I think the biggest story surrounding the Superbowl occurred after the game was already played. After the Superbowl, stories started coming out about players on the Patriots team who refused to travel to the White House, as is the tradition for all championship winning teams since 1865. As you probably guessed, the majority of these players do not agree with President Trump’s rhetoric and beliefs, and have chosen to not visit the White House.

Hearing about these stories made me reflect on whether politics have a place in the sports world. One the one hand, I think they do belong in sports because ultimately, sports figures and those in the media who cover sports are people. And just like all people, they, too, are entitled to their opinions. These opinions inherently color anything they do or say, including while they’re on the job. In this case, their workplace just so happens to be a major sports league that brings in billions of dollars in revenue annually. One of the most interesting cases in this debate is the Olympic Games, in which sports and politics are inextricable linked. Perhaps the most poignant example for how politics can clash with sports comes from the 1936 Berlin Summer Olympic Games. In these 1936 Games, American track and field star Jessie Owens faced adversity for being an African American competing in what were termed “Hitler’s Olympics.” He ended up shocking not only the Germans, but the entire world when he won 4 gold medals in the 100 meter, 200 meter, long jump, and 4 x 100 meter relay events.

On the other hand, involving politics with something are pure as athletic competition can put off many fans (especially those who contribute to the huge revenues the sports world brings in, from ticket sales to merchandise sales). This is quite understandable. Consider this: Say you’re a basketball fan and your favorite player suddenly announces on Twitter that he supports the political party that you vehemently oppose. This can lead to cognitive dissonance in the fan’s mind, and would probably cause them to pick a new favorite player or team. Personally, I feel that fans pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch athletes compete at the highest levels of competition, and they rightfully expect these players to focus only on the game at hand and leave their personal identities off the field.

The conclusion that I have come to, and one which seems the most fair to me, is that athletes should be free (even encouraged) to pursue whatever political agenda/ideology they support (but it would be best if this were done privately), as long as it does not interfere whatsoever with their on-the-field performance. For example, athletes shouldn’t wear stickers or badges representing a political party on their game uniform or team locker. Athletes’ personal and professional lives should be separated as much as possible to avoid any controversy.

Please comment below and let me know what your thoughts are on this debate! Do you think politics have a place in the sports world?