I think that I fall victim to the hindsight illusion quite frequently. After I make a mistake, I will often lament to myself, “I should have known that was going to happen.” I will not pretend that it does not frustrate me either when things seem so clear in retrospect. After reading this chapter, I understand that I should not be so hard on myself.

In his book, Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman explains that, ““We are prone to blame decision makers for good decisions that worked out badly and to give them too little credit for successful moves that appear obvious only after the fact. When the outcomes are bad, the clients often blame their agents for not seeing the handwriting on the wall—forgetting that it was written in invisible ink that became legible only afterward. Actions that seemed prudent in foresight can look irresponsibly negligent in hindsight.” In other words, whereas before an event occurs, even if a large amount of uncertainty is known to exist, it is easy to retrospectively conclude that the answer was more obvious all along. This act gives less credit where it is due and seeks more punishment in the face of prior uncertainty.

It is easy to focus on the ‘shoulds’ and the ‘could haves’. I think that this chapter helps quell those doubts that we face in light of retrospective knowledge. I do not think that anyone would purposefully act in a way that they knew that they would later regret if they knew with certainty what that future looked like. In light of this, I think that we should be more gentle with ourselves and others.

This action, however, should not detract from employing a moral compass. Simply stating that the act was done in uncertainty or without a certain intention does not dismiss responsibility of one’s actions. It does, however, encourage us to try to be more understanding of ourselves and those around us.

I enjoyed this chapter of Thinking Fast and Slow. Not only did it provide me with introspective clarity, but it also helped me identify overcritical patterns of thinking that occur frequently. I hope to be able to use this new information, although I understand that we are naturally programmed to do such, I think that now I can identify instances when I am over- or under- critical and try to change.