Let me start off this blog by saying that I have loved being in the PLA and I hope that more students continue to have the awesome experience I’ve had. But the PLA is not perfect by any means—it has enormous room for improvement. I think just one vital change to the PLA would drastically improve it as an organization, resulting in students who think more critically, create actual impact, and represent Penn State in a noticeably positive way. That change?

We need to actually do things instead of just talking about them!!

Ask yourself this question: what do we actually do in this program?  Your answers are probably “class, trips, and blogs.” We have class where we’ll talk about what’s going on in our community or the world, and sometimes we’ll have speakers. We go on trips where the same thing happens, we have speakers who raise ideas about our communities or the world and we discuss those ideas. And then we further discuss those ideas in the blogs.

The common theme here is learning and discussion. And that’s obviously important, I’m not saying that should go away. But have you noticed what’s not here? ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THE ISSUES WE’VE LEARNED AND DISCUSSED. Seriously, think about that! With very few exceptions, the PLA is all talk and no action. And if I asked you to describe a leader, would you use the phrase “all talk and no action?” We could be engaging in community service or starting organizations or getting politically involved. Literally doing anything would be better than what we do now, which is nothing.

I know some of you will say “but the policy paper!” Yes, we write a policy paper that is focused on some issue. The biggest problem with it is that it’s usually 100% theoretical—no tangible outcomes emerge from the writing of that paper. You present it to Barron, sigh because it’s done, and then tell the class below you that it sucks. It’s a massive, complex and glorified blog.

Now I know that one sophomore group actually decided to create a club focused around their policy paper topic, and that’s awesome! I encourage more things like that to happen in the PLA! But the reason you can’t point to this and say “see, the PLA does make us do things!” is because those students took the initiative themselves to start their own club—that action wasn’t required of them. These students did something exceptional and meaningful because they operated outside the official parameters of the program. When exceptional outcomes are more frequently the result of operating outside of your program rather than within it, your program is more of a hindrance than a boon. you must ask yourself why that is.

There is one time I feel like I had a meaningful impact through the PLA. The Spring ’16 trip was a bus tour of important Civil Rights locations in the south. After visiting the town of Selma, we all donated some of our leftover per diem money to help the school and community. This is great, but there are two problems with it. (1) Donating money is the least effortful way that privileged students can give back or impact a community, and (2) it was actually proposed by a PLA student, totally uncoordinated with the PLA leadership!  So just like before, something exceptional and meaningful happened not because the PLA required it, but because students took initiative on their own.

And look, obviously the two examples above were entirely facilitated by the PLA—they wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t in the program. The program put us together and in the physical and fiscal situation to make impact possible. But I think the PLA needs to redesign its programming such that exceptional and meaningful outcomes are the result of official PLA projects, rather than unexpected surprises students voluntarily take on. Here are some very basic suggestions on how to do that.

• Instead of spending an entire semester writing a theoretical policy paper, maybe the first half of the semester could be spent learning generally about a couple of topics impacting the PSU community. Then the second half of the semester is doing something practical about them. Think about how much time you’d have to impact the community if you weren’t spending all those hours in class…
  • The class led by the Honors College Dean could function in a similar way. Maybe some classes are discussion-based or have guest speakers, but others can focus on what could be done in the community to change or improve that. For example, instead of talking about sexual assault for an 11th straight class, you could put some of that knowledge and critical thinking brainpower to generating practical solutions students could implement.
  • Juniors should not be doing nothing. They do nothing in the literal sense, except when they blog. Then they do nothing in the metaphorical sense.
  • Instead of meeting up once a month to talk for two hours, seniors should spend that time doing community service. We will still wind up talking about important issues anyway, because we do that whether we’re asked to or not. Here are some service ideas:
    • Volunteering at a state college prison (leading to eventual discussion of incarceration policies and their effects)
    • Moderating a debate between two polarized groups, like Students for Trump/Hillary or Palestinian/Israeli organizations
    • Volunteering with CAPS and brainstorming how to better address mental health issues on PSU
  • There should always be at least one or two student liaisons to keep the PLA leadership updated on what we are feeling. This is the first year where I feel like we’ve had anything like that, and I appreciate it and want to see it continued.

These would all be so much more interesting and rewarding and meaningful than what we do now. In its current state, the PLA more closely resembles a privileged kids travel club than an organization creating leaders. We have many classes where we discuss the issues our community and world face, and then instead of doing things about those issues we take paid-for vacations. That is the most apt description of PLA I’ve seen and yet it’s probably not one we’d like to put on our website.

Let me reiterate this: I like the PLA a lot. I have made amazing friends through it and had some incredible experiences. I’m always going to be thankful for the opportunities it has afforded me. But the PLA has a lot of work to do if they want to be viewed as an organization that truly fosters leadership and generates impact. As it stands, the PLA is not much more than a privileged kids’ travel club. I would love for it to be more than that, I truly would! And I bet Penn State and President Barron and the Hintzes and all of us would love for it to be more than that, too! But it’s not. I don’t know if it ever will be, but this blog post is an attempt to change it.

___

Edit: the strikethrough part. Muhammad pointed out that the program isn’t necessarily a hindrance, and I agree with that.