The fear of missing out—also known as FOMO—is something that haunts me, and I’m sure a lot of other people can relate. There’s something inherently dreadful about missing out, whether it’s on something small like not being able to go out with your friends or something monumental like an investment opportunity. Personally, for me, I think regret is what makes FOMO especially horrible. For as long as I can remember, regret has been one of my strongest motivators. I always ask myself: “Will I end up regretting doing this or not doing this.” I have always believed that it’s better to have done something and regret having done it, than to regret not ever doing it (I hope that made sense reading it). That way, I never have to wonder about what could have been. In fact (on a slightly unrelated note), one of my all-time favorite quotes is “Someone once told me the definition of Hell: On your last day, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” Although I never quite realized it before, I think the reason why I’m such a perfectionist and why I lament the slightest mistake I make is because I constantly strive to be the best possible version of myself that I can. I feels good finally letting that come out and coming to that realization.

I am always reminded of regret and FOMO at the end of every year. Change, and just the general process of “letting go & moving on,” is something that’s hard for me to deal with, and the end of the school year naturally involves massive change. However, I think I’m having an especially difficult time adjusting this year because I will be graduating at the end of this summer (in August), and I’m nearing the end of my college career. I’ve been dreading blogging about this subject for a while because it would cause me to confront the negative emotions I’m feeling, but now that I’m actually writing about what I feel, it doesn’t seem so bad.