The key to saving this world is to resist the diminution of human beings.  According to Amartya Sen, an Indian economist and philosopher, we have diminished each individual through the process of communitarian thinking. Communitarian thinking enables us to identify one another based on one singular characteristic. As a result, our vision is impaired because we do not see our complex and unique features that make us who we are. Instead of seeing myself as a Christian, African-American and Puerto-Rican young woman, I am coerced into seeing myself as just African-American.

I often struggle with my identity as an Afro-Latina woman who was raised in a predominantly white area. It was/is difficult for me to feel accepted when I have been labeled as an “oreo.” For those of you who are not familiar with the term, black people are labeled as “oreos” when they act “white.” I find this label degrading on a number of levels because its purpose is to categorize all black people into one entity. When you call someone an “oreo” you are consciously stripping them of their identity, and for a portion of my life, I felt as if I was not black enough. Being black is much more than a skin complexion, it’s a lifestyle. I believed the lies of my peers telling me that I had to act a certain way if I wanted to call myself “black” and according to them I was not measuring up to their standards. Through self-reflection I have come to understand the serious ramifications to the name “oreo.” I asked my friend one day, to explain to me why she considers me to be a disgrace to the black populous, and her answer was astounding. From her contorted perception, I was “white” because I talked proper, had white friends, had a sophisticated sense of style, and valued my education. I was shocked. If black people do not see themselves as intelligent individuals with bright futures, then how are we supposed to change the perception of others? I quickly realized how we have ALL been conditioned to believe these lies; being black does not give you immunity.

However, change cannot occur if we are not willing to address the issue in the first place.

One of the main issues in America, is the denial of racism. Because of white privilege, the majority of white Americans believe that racism is eradicated; when it has become a systematic problem that is deeply entrenched into every aspect of our lives. Tim Wise, an anti-racist advocate, emphasized this point when he spoke about the implications of white Americans being a part of the dominant group. When one is a part of the dominant group, they are blinded to the disparities and inequalities between contrasting ethnicities. America has created a superordinate group (whites) and a subordinate group (black and brown people) that enables white people to flourish in a society catered towards them, while black and brown people are treated as second class citizens. As I previously stated, the media has indoctrinated us ALL to believe, the stereotypes and negative connotations associated with black people.

Because of the current social dynamic in this country, it is imperative for us to come together, and openly discuss these issues. We cannot be color blind; we have to be color conscious; acknowledging that there are disparities between each ethnicity. However, while it is imperative that we see color, it is our responsibility to see one another as unique human beings first. We cannot categorize each individual into one group, and ignore their other traits. We are multi-dimensional human beings. It’s time that we change our lenses, and start to see one another for who we really are.