During Thanksgiving break, my perceptions and beliefs were called into question regarding a family matter that I discovered. It is not my place to share specifically what I am referencing, however I would like to share a few thought developments and questions that I have. Possibly you could even help me answer some of my questions to help me better understand.

I shall begin with this – there are things in life that we know are wrong. Stealing from someone is wrong, hurting another individual is wrong, and marrying your first cousin is wrong. These are just a few examples of things that society has determined are bad to do and it should not be tolerated. Well my questions is, when do we begin to recognize that something currently considered wrong is actually not wrong at all, and it’s just societies influence on our perception/belief that is clouding our judgement? Take myself for example. I am gay. Is that wrong? No, of course not. I was born this way. But even 50 years ago, being gay was not tolerated. The majority of the population thought it was disgusting or immoral. They thought it was a choice and not something that an individual was born with. Back then, this information was considered accurate and poorly treating those that were gay was acceptable. Over time, of course, society has come to realize that this is something that can’t be helped and there are people born attracted to others of the same sex. This is the same story for race, religion, and gender. People of the world are beginning to realize that a born characteristic should not hinder one’s place and role in society.

Well my issue is this – what are the societal perceptions and beliefs that will be considered acceptable in the future, but are considered wrong today? It is so easy to disagree with the actions of others when it is considered “unacceptable” by society. When someone asks you why you disagree, the simplest response is, “Because it’s just wrong.” But who determines “wrong”? You, me, Congress? We hear this same argument over and over again until someone finally brings so much attention to the issue that people actually have to open their eyes and ears and formulate their own personal opinion. But then on the other hand, when is it enough? How far can we push the envelope until every individual has the free will to do whatever makes them happy as long as it is not dangerous to others? This would bring me to the entire concept of religion, but I promised myself that I would not open that box today.

So my questions are as follows:

When are we wrong?

When do we begin to recognize the ignorance of societal standards and begin to question their validity?

And what is the limit to these changes in societal standards when we realize there does need to be some form of guidance to how people live?

Help.