Recently I saw a preview for a new movie titled “Love, Simon.” The movie describes the coming-out experience of a high school teenager from a small town in Georgia. The preview was excellent and truly got me excited for its release in March. As with any good movie preview, I went online to see if there was a book that inspired the creation of the movie. To my satisfaction, there was. “Love, Simon” is based on Becky Albertalli’s Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. As soon as I discovered the book, I purchased it.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

I read the book in one day and to my extreme disastisfaction, I was not happy with the outcome. The premise: great. The story plot: great. The characters: great. The ability to effectively put into words what it is like to personally come out: AWFUL. It was so disappointing! I was so ecstatic to finally refer my heterosexual friends to a book that may offer a glimpse into what I experienced as I came out for the first time, but to my dismay, this book is not worthy of a referral, unless I want all of my friends to believe that coming out is super easy and everyone is cool with it right away. I was so aggravated with the disappointment I was facing that I had to Google the author to figure out her background. And what did I find? The author is a heterosexual woman! Do I need to clarify? The author, that was writing the book from the first-person narrative of a gay, male teenager, is a HETEROSEXUAL WOMAN. Do I need to explain the issues there? I do not have an issue with female authors nor do I have an issue with female authors writing from the perspective of a male, but one’s coming out story is so complicated and so individualistic that it cannot handle that many different variables! I will give Ms. Albertalli credit for being a psychologist that specializes in gender non-conforming children and teens; that is amazing. But no matter how hard or how many times I explain what it was like to come out, a heterosexual individual will never be able to write or speak to the experience as if it were their own.

Coming out is not a one-time deal. It is something that I, and the rest of the gay community, have to do every day. Accepting that you are gay is also not a one-time deal. Every time I watch a Disney movie, go to a jewelry store, or step into my ballroom dance class, I have to be reminded that being gay is not the standard norm. Accepting that I am gay is a battle that will never be won, not because I am not comfortable with it, but because society is so strongly rooted in heteronormativity. I was so hopeful that this book would be able to provide meaningful insight into the feelings that a gay individual has, but unfortunately it did not do it justice. Even though I was disappointed with the book, I do still plan to see the movie. I am hopeful that it will be one of the rare exceptions where the movie is better than the book, so I promise to keep you posted!