As the semester winds down, I cannot help but to reflect on the many interesting things that happened for me over the course of the past 15 or so weeks. This has definitely been the most difficult semester I have had at Penn State, but it has also been the one with the most travel, coolest projects, and incredible opportunities.

My Energy Science and Engineering lab course has completely reshaped my definition of what hard work looks like. Writing 6-8 page technical lab reports each week that required me to go beyond simple data manipulation and presentation, and actually make professional engineering recommendations and suggestions, really wore me out. My technical writing has definitely improved greatly, as well as my analysis techniques and decision-making skills, but the hours I have poured into this course will never be returned to me. Hopefully this really does payoff in my career like my professor said it would, otherwise I’ll be quite upset!

I got to travel to California not once but twice this semester. The first trip was with my PLA peeps to Los Angeles, where we had an absolutely amazing time exploring the city. I fell in love with LA last summer, and this trip really helped to reaffirm my appreciation for the city, and all it has to offer. My second trip was to Sonoma California, where I got to compete in the Shell Eco-Marathon for my engineering capstone. This was an incredible opportunity, where I got to make and compete with a high-efficiency urban concept vehicle. I will definitely miss my capstone teammates, and all the fun, hard-work, and again, tons of hours, that were poured into this project.

This semester was also challenging for me in terms of peer relationships and living situations. However, through good intentions, positive thinking, and support from friends and family, I have been able to persevere. I’ve become closer to people who have helped me through the difficult periods, and am able to emerge as a stronger, more cautious individual. Going forward, I am hopefully now able to better identify situations that can ultimately lead to potential conflict, and work towards mitigating said situations before problems can arise. Luckily, with how things have been going, the next two semesters should be much, much better!

My department awarded me with another student merit award at our annual banquet this semester, and I got to finalize my living situations this summer for my second internship at NASA JPL. I will be working in the thermal engineering section in support of the Europa Clipper mission, something that I am both excited and passionate about! If there is one thing for sure, it’s that hard work in college can definitely pay off!

So, as I sit here looking out the window at the trees which are just now bursting with new spring leaves, I can say that this semester is definitely one for the books. It has taught me a bunch about myself, my peers, success, hard work, and especially perseverance. I wish everyone much luck on finals, and an exciting Summer. To the senior class, good luck with your future endeavors, and I will be excited to read about your successes!