As I am getting ready to be immersed into the professional world and then into graduate school, I recognize the struggles I will face but the growth I will have. I look back on my college years and already see how far I’ve come despite facing many different types of adversities. It may be difficult to balance staying true to myself, being professional, and being assertive, but I recognize that it is what’s necessary to survive and thrive in a society that works against you. I attended the 2019 Women of Color Panel hosted by Alisa Vasquez and funded by PLA. This event was truly inspiring and it really gave me some of the best transitional advice I could ask for as a Black Woman. Here is my very lengthy reflection:

While each woman of color has a unique story, certain aspects of our experiences align very closely.The Women of Color Empowerment Panel was an event created to foster an open dialogue where women of color from various backgrounds could genuinely discuss their unique experiences and how they break through stereotypes. Being a woman of color is comprised with
an abundance of beauty, knowledge, strength, joy, growth, and success. However, these aspects of our lives are coupled with constant inner conflicts and outside forces that can inhibit our confidence and overall success. The women on the panel highlighted their specific methods of self-assurance, persistence, and emotional intelligence to overcome stereotypes. However, their forms of resistance are also useful for battling many other obstacles like economic inequality, privilege, gender roles, and respectability politics.

The speakers first discussed their resistance to the stereotype that black women are inferior. Dr. Timeka Tounsel, an associate professor of African American Studies, kicked off the discussion with the most recent college admissions scandal where wealthy parents helped their children cheat on college entrance exams and paid their way into college. This scandal is a clear example of how white and wealthy families can make use of their privilege and not be reprimanded for it. Dr. Tounsel explains how minorities don’t have this privilege because society makes two assumptions about our intellect. If minorities get into college, then affirmative action is the reason why, but if we don’t get into college, then we are labeled as lazy or stupid. These assumptions can then cause women of color to feel like we don’t belong. Dr. Tounsel says that when we feel that “our position in successful places isn’t validated,” we must remember, “I belong here.”

Dr. Amira Rose Davis, an assistant professor of History and Women’s Studies, defines thissecond guessing of one’s self as imposter syndrome, where it is “hard to self-validate and believe in yourself and where you belong.” Dr. Davis combatted her imposter syndrome at John Hopkins by finding study times and attending physical spaces where she felt confident. Eventually, claiming these spaces as hers influenced her daily lifestyle at Hopkins. Shernille, a senior majoring in public relations and psychology, also struggled with imposter syndrome in her classes full of white people. She had trouble asking questions and explaining situations to her professor because she felt the need to be perfect. She reached out to mentors who helped her navigate these situations of inferiority. Katherine, a graduate student at Penn State, is another black woman who describes her battle of imposter syndrome and inferiority as the “battle between being honest with yourself and the person doubting you, while doing your job professionally and still remaining true to yourself.”

Shernille and Katherine’s initial approach of proving themselves is similar to respectability politics, where minorities police themselves to conform and practice socially acceptable behavior in order to gain rights and validation as a citizen. This philosophy often causes people to lose
their true identity in return for a conditional acceptance by society. Instead of respectability politics, the women on the panel proposed self-care and self-assertion. Dr. Davis says, “Allow yourself a mental health day because microaggressions will persist and some days they will hurt
more than others.” Shernille chooses to surround herself with people who love her and Katherine reminds herself, “I am tired!” Dr. Tounsel advises women of color to remember their higher purpose for being in a certain situation because the bigger picture will guide us and transcend the
inner conflicts and stereotypes. She also urges us to understand when, where, and how to assert oneself. As she stated, “It takes energy to assert yourself and correct people. What’s the best way to use this energy and is [the situation] worth it?”

Educating and correcting others may be a case by case scenario, but demanding what you are worth is not. Dr. Tounsel strongly believes that women negotiate poorly or don’t do it at all. This is a common issue in the academic and professional world because women are expected to be
submissive and we sometimes fear being labeled as aggressive. Dr. Tounsel educated us on the necessity of negotiation, from reviewing the compensation package to understanding that money, parking spots, vacation weeks, etc. are all forms of compensation. This point was extremely valuable because it was a tool for women of color to use to defy gender norms and gender inequality.

I will use all of these tools and advice to keep peace, balance, and a prospering attitude in my life. These women dropped “major keys” and really made me have the courage to face the world outside of Penn State.