Since becoming a member of the PLA in April 2016, I have written approximately 54 blogs. During that time, I believe I have grown as a writer to be better at concisely expressing points and intertwining a few ideas into what I find to be a relevant and engaging topic. (I’ll admit that I use the word “concise” loosely). Also during that time, I have grown as a leader and a person as a result of my time in the PLA. Having witnessed many new perspectives both in the classroom and around the country, grown more confident and aware of my own beliefs, and studied how leadership principles interact with the “gray area”, I believe that I am much better equipped for lifelong leadership success as a result of my time in PLA. With that being said, I would be amiss not to thank those who have made this journey possible. Being me and this being for the PLA, I think the proper way to do this would be through…. Presidents.

To Ed and Helen Hintz… thank you for being the George Washington for PLA. Like Washington, you had the resources and were at the station in life where you did not have to take extraordinary initiative to lead a country or program, but you felt called to helm a program where you helped others to grow. Doing so has certainly taken continual dedication to a special vision, and the path you have trod, though unprecedented, has given us a wonderful result. Thank you.

To Melissa, Kristine, and all the others who have administered the PLA through the past three years (Maddie, Sam, Amanda, Glorie)… thank you for being the Thomas Jefferson for PLA. Jefferson expanded the nation’s horizons to the corners of the North American continent, just as you have helped our individual horizons expand across the country. From Seattle to Los Angeles to the deep South to New York City, you have facilitated our pursuit of knowledge in so many different spheres across the country, and I anticipate this will have the same impact on our futures as Jefferson’s efforts did for the United States. Thank you.

To President Barron, Dean Johnson, and Dean Bieschke… thank you for being the Abraham Lincoln for PLA. Though we may have widely varying views, you have helped mediate these differences and lead our discussions forward to be productive and united as a cohort. I’m sure the classes may be difficult to lead sometimes, but you have stuck to your beliefs while guiding us to conclusions and deeper consideration of a variety of topics. Thank you.

To the students of PLA… thank you for being the Teddy Roosevelt for PLA. You have shared passion for your variety of interests and beliefs with the rest of the class, enthusiastically supporting what you believe to be right and doing your utmost in word and deed to see your personal convictions become realities. This has surely inspired each of us to do the same- better understanding our passions and beliefs and supporting their realization. Best of luck in your futures, and thank you.

As the door closes on my time in college and PLA, I wish each of you the best of luck with your futures and can’t wait to hear about all the wonderful things that everyone will accomplish. Thanks for everything.

Best,

Paul