I greatly enjoyed our class’s experience at 3 Dots this past week. One of the things that I took through my week was the idea of doing everything before you say no to a concept or an idea. In other words, thinking how something could work and come to life before you see how it could fail. In a competitive environment, it can often feel like it is impossible to propose an idea that might actually work; an idea that people could believe in. While this approach might help refine practical solutions, it isn’t always the best way to spur innovation. And although I have always found myself feeling far from the field of entrepreneurship and business, I found myself applying this idea of a charitable worldview to my experiences later that week.

I have had an exhausting first weeks of school. While I know this is not an uncommon experience, it is hard not to feel alone when things come crashing down every once in a while. This past weekend, my apartment had about 12 old high school people who now go to the University of Pittsburgh staying over for the game. My roommate is a friend from high school as well, so between the two of us we managed to get about 15 percent of our graduating class under the same roof. This was overwhelming to say the least. There was a lot of joy, a lot of yelling and more than enough reminiscing to  last me a football season. The memories of high school came rushing back. And, unfortunately for me, so did the feelings of being out of place, lost and incapable of finding my way.

In a house full of familiar faces, this should have been impossible. I was surrounded by people I grew up with, shared years of struggles with and shared a home with, and yet I still felt alone. I was unable to recognize the resources that were sitting in my living room. That is, until it became clear I was upset, and I was affirmed by people I assumed would view my emotions as a burden.

Life sucks, and it can be hard to trust people and recognize that there are people who truly and deeply care for you. But the alternative is something that is not only unrealistic, but unproductive to growth. I want to be a strong, caring individual who betters the lives of others. How can I begin to approach this project without presupposing the goodness and the worthiness of the people who will eventually be my allies, my coworkers and my friends? I can’t. Refusing to believe is not only debilitating to a startup, but to individuals as well. I am grateful for 3 Dots and the values they bring into our community, and can only hope we can spread their passion and goodness through every space we enter.