On Wednesday morning, walking into class, I was pleasantly surprised at what I discovered in the space of 3 dots. It was a wonderfully whimsical space that definitely had an identity … and a great dog. I had never been inside, and previously had no concept of what its purpose was. Listening to the description of the venture’s goal, I learned more and understood it better. And up to this very moment, I am not sure if I have a strong opinion on it.

To the lot of us PLA students, each of us critical thinkers and change-makers in our own way, may have found it to be a great place with a great purpose. It fosters creative thinking by making sure no idea is looked down upon as a bad one. It provides resources to achieve real outcomes in the community via the Awesome Foundation. It is its own financing to make the change it wants to see in the community.  Motivated individuals that have an idea can bring it to life. But what about the individuals who won’t ever step in 3 dots, or don’t agree with the things it does?

This cohort may be small in number, but they are none the less a member of the community. Should they not desire so much change, don’t they have a right to express that? You may say, so what, they have the same opportunity to show up to 3 dots as anyone else in the community. And while that’s true, three dots, in my understanding, wasn’t made, and isn’t targeted toward the folks that don’t want to see change in their community. This may be a case of oh-well they had their opportunity same as me, so it’s no skin of my teeth. But that didn’t feel like the goal of 3 dots to me. I felt like it was trying to foster a community that more people wanted to be a part of.

In that spirit, I worry that perhaps I don’t know enough about the organization to have said what I have tonight. I don’t know their process for approving ideas that are submitted to the Awesome Foundation. I don’t know enough about the other things that they accomplish in the community. With all of this uncertainty I return to the point that I do not yet have my mind made up on organization. I do however wish it well and hope that it can continue its work in State College, making the community a better place for all, because I do believe it can achieve that.