During the time that I had accepted my offer to Penn State and was making the trek to campus from San Antonio, I was bombarded with welcome emails for all kinds of groups and organizations. The most persistent of all these groups was the FastStart Mentorship program built out of Penn State’s Alumni Association to provide first-year students with a faculty and alumni mentor to better serve their university transition. The program has peaked interest in minority and first-generation students, but is open to all first year students. At the time, I questioned if I needed a mentor considering that I was naturally an independent and driven individual. However, making the decision to join FastStart was one of the best decisions I have made as a student because it has provided me with a lovely mentor that helps me to this day.

I never got the opportunity to meet with my alumni mentor due to an organizational transition that took place the year I entered the program, but my faculty mentor made up for the loss entirely. My mentor is a financial officer in the College of Education and like myself, spent her undergraduate studying Political Science. When we first met in October, we mostly talked about my ambitions as a student and what I needed and expected as a mentee. Based on the very rigid and informational conversation we had, I assumed my mentor would largely be a resource for me. Now, I can confidently say that my mentor is so much more than that.

A significant portion of the time I’ve spent with my mentor concerns my professional and academic development. She has spent time walking me through interview and resume tips to help prepare me for networking. She has sent me links and information about different opportunities that exist for me here at Penn State. As great as all these things are, she has also taken the time to invest in me as an individuals by sharing meals with me, inviting me to local events, providing me with a place to stay during my travels, and allowing me to feel like part of her own family. I am so grateful for the meaningful relationship we have built over the past few years.

Just this past weekend, my mentor asked me to watch her kids at a family and friend function. Within her community of friends and family, there is an annual celebration in which many families come together to enjoy some amazing food and friendship. I met lots of lovely people who were kind and welcoming to me as the group babysitter. Spending the day with over 30 playful, energetic, and crazy children was not exactly what I imagined for my Saturday, but it was what I needed. It was incredibly refreshing to be around a community built off love and connection. The level of joy and excitement that existed from a room full of kids and toys put life in a perspective that is so contrasting from the pressure of academics and life responsibilities. In my time of getting adjusted to all kinds of responsibilities, I really needed a break and my mentor gave me just that. Even when she isn’t trying, my mentor is always able to support me in the ways I need, and I will always appreciate what she has done and will do for me in the future.