I really appreciated Ken Graham’s time with us in class this past Wednesday. Not only was he extremely encouraging and concise, he also made sure everyone was involved in one way or another. A few things really stuck with me from it but there was one thing in particular that I loved and will take with me for the rest of my life. A little bit into his talk, he presented three categories of people and asked which one each of us fell into. The first type, which I believe Kerry and one other person fell into, was where you knew exactly what you wanted to do in the future. Both of them are heading into the medical field and understand where they’d like to be even 10 years into the future. The second group, on the other hand, is where probably 95% of the class fell into. This group was the group where most of the people knew roughly what they wanted to do. Perhaps there are some details that need to be ironed out, but for the most part, these people feel confident in what they want to do and where they want to end up. The last group, which I believe only Faith and I fell into, was the group that had no idea what they want to do after college.

I’ve written a lot about this idea of uncertainty in the near future and what I want to do with my life, but what Ken had to say in regards to Faith and I really impacted me. He reassured us that while we might not know what we’re going to do, it will end up being something that we are passionate about and great at. This really soothed my soul because the uncertainty is something that worries me fairly regularly. I think the idea of ‘adulting’ is pretty overwhelming for most people but with my parents moving down to Florida in the spring and me not know exactly what I want to do, it can be frustrating. I shared in class that the quote, “comparison is the thief of joy” has been a crutch for me in this period of uncertainty and I really meant that. Ken affirmed me when I shared this insight and that really made me feel like everything is going to be alright. So if for some reason Ken ever ends up reading this, I just want to thank you for what you said because it has made an impact on my life.