As a second semester senior, people are always asking about graduation that looms closely on the horizon. My friends and I have started calling graduation the  “G” word to avoid the thought of having to leave Happy Valley. Bringing up graduation means a lot of different things:

• The end of an era→ The romanticized, careless days of your adolescence and newfound independence that created some of the best days, and even better friends, are going to change to something that will again be new and different. 
  • The beginning of  the real world→ phase of life that is new to everyone graduating is adulthood. The start of a new job, and the new, often challenging responsibilities that come with adulthood must be navigated for the first time. 
  • Leaving friends→ Many graduates shift from living in a crummy apartment with their best friends to a new residence in a different city. Some find their roommate relationship transferring to a new city, others do not. But none of these changes will be the same as it has been during these college days and the close proximity of living with college friends. 

This list could really go on for a long time, however the bottom line is things are going to change very soon, starting with graduation. I have found that asking about post-graduation plans has become one of my favorite questions to ask my fellow classmates. To see what major they will officially receive a degree in and where their passions are leading them to go.

I have always had a genuine desire to know more about people’s interests and what they find to be fulfilling in life. I love asking people what they are passionate about regardless of their past. In doing  this, I have learned so much about others. I have learned about new hobbies and activities, but I have also learned an incredible amount about inequalities, beliefs and opinions, and missions. There are so many ways to express oneself.  And learning about what makes others feel like the best version of themselves is something that brings me joy. Seeing the way someone’s eyes light up and voice become perkier when they are talking about something that is significant to them is a joy. I enjoy hearing about why people have chosen their major and the hopes and dreams they are working to fulfill. As I am part of the next group of graduating seniors, I find that this new question, “What are you hoping to do after graduation?” has become a new favorite of mine. 

So far, it is a mixed bag of answers. Some are starting full time jobs after working internships for the same company for the past three summers. Others have secured jobs thanks to the virtual platforms we now have access to. And at the same time, many have yet to figure it out and are taking it one day at a time. Some people are moving back home with their parents since their job is a reasonable distance from their house, making it the most economically smart choice. Others are ambitiously venturing off into a brand new city to pursue a new role. It is a time in our lives with a mix of directions one can choose to go– but that is what makes it exciting! 

*Disclaimer: I do not have post-graduation plans and I will take these next few months one day at a time with an open mind!