Loneliness is a growing epidemic in our society, and college students are among the most affected. In a 2017 survey by the American College Health Association of nearly 48,000 college students, 64% said they had felt “very lonely” in the previous 12 months, while only 19% reported they never felt lonely. “Students also reported feeling “overwhelming anxiety (62%) or “very sad” (69%), and that “things were hopeless” (53%). Nearly 12% seriously considered suicide.” These staggering statistics highlight the sheer magnitude of this problem and shed light that depression/loneliness in schooling is not a rare occurrence but rather a systemic cultural problem.

As someone who has experienced the struggles of loneliness in college, I can tell you that it’s a real and pervasive problem. College is supposed to be a time of new beginnings, exciting adventures, and meaningful connections. But for far too many people, it’s also a time of isolation, fear, and sadness. As someone who has experienced the struggles of loneliness in college, I can tell you that it’s a real and pervasive problem.

In my freshman year of college, I can very clearly recall feeling utterly alone. I had no clear feeling of purpose or direction and was in an unfamiliar place with strangers. I would hole myself in my dorm room for hours at a time, reading through social media and missing the security and familiarity of home. But I started to find my niche in college as I kept putting myself out there, going to events and joining clubs. I developed several good friendships and a love for volunteering and doing community work. I discovered that reaching out to others and being there for them at difficult times was the key to overcoming loneliness.

There are various ways we can make a difference, including working at a nearby charity, joining a club, or even reaching out to someone who seems lonely or in need. Who knows? Along the road, you might even make some new friends and discover your purpose. So as leaders, let us take this chance to support one another, fight loneliness, and create a better future.