As part of the Schreyer graduation requirement, I will have to write a thesis in my concentrated area of study or a somewhat related topic. While this can be exciting, it is also something that I know will take up a lot of time over the next three semesters. I recently had the opportunity to meet with my thesis advisor and talk through a potential topic. Most finance theses surround the stock market, security prices, and general corporate finance regulations. As mentioned earlier, I don’t think I would have the passion to dig deep into one of these topics over the rest of my college career. Thus, I have decided that I will pursue this thesis on a topic that merges the finance major with one of my interests. 

“Analyzing the profitability of the NBA’s investment in global markets: using India as a baseline model”. This is what I hope the end product of my thesis sounds like to some degree. Since the first time I visited India, I was always disappointed that there was nowhere to play basketball. India has often been named “the sleeping giant of the sports world” due to its sheer population size. The NBA has recently made investments in China and a majority of Europe, looking to develop a pipeline of players and a constant stream of revenue through TV Deals and Merchandise sales. Finally, I also want to look at this topic from an infrastructure/economic perspective, as the NBA’s investment in Indian communities can improve the quality of life and overall standard of living. 

I am excited to explore a topic that encapsulates my major, cultural background, and favorite pastime. Looking forward to starting the research process!