Now that Halloween is over, my mind has immediately shifted to Christmas-mode. With some light snow flurries falling over State College on the first day of November, that feeling was a little stronger than usual this year. 

I absolutely love the holiday season. Growing up in NYC, it was always so special to watch as lights went up all over the city, transforming the chaos into a magical winter wonderland. Walking around the winter market at Bryant Park, visiting Santa at Macy’s on 34th Street, and taking pictures in front of the Rockefeller Christmas tree have always been some of my favorite memories and I can’t wait for December to begin. 

Standing in my way is Thanksgiving and the month of November, which I’m not too thrilled about. However, as much as I love Christmas, there is something special about spending time with my family to focus on the things that I’m grateful for. It allows us to remember what’s important, during a season that can be easily overwhelmed by gift-giving and selfish desires. We reflect and can then move forward having those priorities in the forefront of our minds. 

This year, I’m grateful for both the relationships that I’ve strengthened and those that I’ve let go of. I’m grateful to have an incredible support system and to be surrounded by people that challenge and inspire me each and every day. I’m grateful for new opportunities, new experiences, and new adventures. 

Now, let’s bring on Christmas!