Growing up, I constantly listened to Salsa, Reggaeton, Merengue, Bachata, and many more lively beats that make up Latin culture. I grew up learning how to dance these essential rhythms since a big part of my heritage is related to our appreciation of the arts. An artist that has stood out to me my whole life is Daddy Yankee. He is a pioneer, philanthropist, artist, lyricist, composer, and one of the most influential and enigmatic people I have ever met. He is known as the father of Reggaeton since he was one of the first musicians to utilize the combination of Puerto Rican folklore music and reggae to encompass what today is well known as Reggaeton. As well, in one of his first songs when he was still an underground artist he gave the genre of music the name “Reggaeton” and since then it’s always been identified as such. Nonetheless, these are not the reasons why he stood out to me from a young age, the main reason he stood out to me is because he always attributes his success to his discipline. He’s said time and time again that he isn’t the best singer or lyricist, he isn’t even the best reggaeton artist in the industry but through his discipline and perseverance he never let any opportunity go to waste. He says that his discipline is one of the sole reasons that he has been able to live his dream. I too want to have that level of discipline and self awareness. After more than 30 years of a successful career, my most favorite musician is retiring to finally enjoy all that he has worked so hard for. I was able to attend his last set of concerts before his retirement throughout Thanksgiving break and I still remain in awe. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had, I loved every minute, knew every lyric and screamed every song. As well, I took a poster that said “I love you Ramon (his birth name)” and “Fine like wine, every day more divine” (since it’s a love rhyme I wrote for him in elementary school). He read my poster, pointed at me and gave me one of the brightest smiles I’ve ever seen. Now, a huge bucket list item has been marked off my list. I’m very grateful I got to have this experience and I’m still starstruck with the encounter. I think that it was a fresh start for me to become more disciplined like my favorite star.